Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

Still in loads of pain.

I had an abscessed tooth removed on the 3rd. I'm still in extreme about of pain that i was in the day I got my tooth removed 4 days later. He did not give me any pain medication and I'm using my prescription ibuprofen that I have in my house 800mg every 8 hours and it barely removes the edge of the pain. Should I go to the er or try to wait it out and go back to the dentist as soon as they can see me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2013 in Health

Answers (12)
  • Call him and tell him to give you something stronger. I am sure he has an answering service. If not go to the ER, that is more pain then anyone can handle.

    Answer by ggsmom333 at 3:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • Ask him to prescribe Codeine or Vicodin. That's what I was prescribed when I had mine taken out. He should've also prescribed the prescription strength antimicrobial mouth rinse called Chlorhexidine and given you a rinsing apparatus that looks like an angled medicine dropper to squirt water into the tooth socket and help rinse it with lukewarm water. Try using some Anbesol on the surrounding gum area but not inside any sockets. Your dentist sounds really bad. He can call or fax the prescription in directly to the pharmacy if you ask him to.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 4:31 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • Just stop by the dentist's office tomorrow and demand a prescription. You don't need an appointment for that since it's an emergency. Mine always accepted emergency visits. In the meantime, take some sleeping aid medications, like Valerian or Benadryl if you have any. (Benadryl has the same main ingredient as sleep aids) so you can get some sleep.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 4:33 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • You sure it is not infected? did he give you antibiotics?


    Answer by louise2 at 7:25 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • Call your dentist's emergency phone number and tell him about your pain. Maybe he needs to see you over the weekend. It doesn't sound right. He can also electronically send a prescription for pain to your local pharmacy.

    Answer by robinkane at 7:45 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • Yes go back and get it fixed...

    Answer by older at 8:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • well youre using the wrong pain meds. Asprin would work better. go back to the dr that removed it and get pain meds

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • Call the doctor who did the removal, if this is also your regular dentist, call them. And if it is a different doctor, and if you can't reach the doctor right now, then call your dentist. The pain is more than you should have to deal with. Rather than ER, one of those urgent care clinics might be preferable if you can't reach anyone. Get some help. ((hugs))

    Answer by Bmat at 10:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • Did he give you antibiotics? I think most dentists won't do an extraction while there is still an infection. Most will prescribe antibiotics to rid the infection before doing work. I would call the office number and leave a message with the answering service. If there is no answer maybe call an urgent care.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 12:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

  • I agree, I'd call and request pain meds and explain what you've said to us. If you are miserable, then go to the ER.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.