My daughter is still not talking...

Hello ladies, I was wondering if I should be worried because my daughter is still not talking and she is almost 16 months old. She is very active and all over the place. She will point to everything she wants and that is pretty much it. Sure she makes all kinds of noices but the only two things she will say are..."ehh and uhh" Thank you.

summernight

Asked by summernight at 6:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 16 months? Don't worry! Really. Experts say you should be more worried if your kid doesn't understand anything you tell him or her, not if they aren't talking yet. Take it from me..my Son is 20 months and doesn't talk. He has said a few words but only once each..says Momma and Dada and mimicks a lot but you wouldn't understand what He says without Us saying it first. BUT He understands everything We say to Him and knows a lot for His age..so I am not worried. He will talk when He is ready and so will your kid. Just remember: EVERY KID IS DIFFERENT and DO NOT let anyone get you down about it!
    irishstarz

Answer by irishstarz at 10:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• not even mama or papa?!

Well still, talk as much as possible to her. no matter what you do explain it to her.

some kids start to talk later than others.

but you need to know that babies/kids can only learn from what their parents teach them.

talk talk and talk even more. when you get her dressed then tell her what you are doing: "now the left arm and the right foot".. ect.

that usually helps a lot.

you can always ask your pediatrician.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you are really concerned, talk to her dr. My middle child only really started to talk since she turned 2 but her ped always said she was fine and right on track. She did point and communicate in other ways, she just had no real desire to talk.
    arctophile

Answer by arctophile at 6:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you're concerned, bring it up to your pediatrician. My daughter has speech therapy through the Birth to Three program and I wish I'd gotten help sooner. At two and a half, she only says half a dozen words, and badly at that.
    bluiidmommy

Answer by bluiidmommy at 6:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• MY SON WAS THE EXACT SAME AND HE HAS SPEECH CLASSES EVERY OTHER WEEK AND THEY COME TO MY HOUSE. HE HAS BEEN IN THE PROGRAM FOR ABOUT 8MONTHS...ITS HELPED OUT A LOT. MY SON IS EXTREMELY SMART BUT LAZY WITH SPEECH..HE NOW TALKS WELL AND HES 2 1/2 NOW.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I noticed that when I started reading to my daughter she started talking like crazy. You don't even have to read the words. Just look at a book and point at the pictures and describe it.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Oh..and reading may help but still, they go at their own pace. I read to my Son EVERY DAY for 30min and not just His books, I read mine aloud so He can hear it as well as broaden His vocab..but also so I can actually read for myself! lol. Ever want to discuss it further, message me. She'll be talking before you know it, I guarantee it! She is still young, tho.
    irishstarz

Answer by irishstarz at 10:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son is 15 months also and dosen't say a thing! I am just as worried. He will point to everything he wants and just makes noises too. Our kids sound the same! He will point and go uH! UH!. and thats it. he dosen't even say mama or dada yet! :(
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 10:38 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Really..neither child is even 1 1/2! They are both still so young, ladies..please don't stress. I know, easier said than done, all good moms worry, I still do! But read my previous comments. I am positive they will both be fine! =D
    irishstarz

Answer by irishstarz at 11:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My 2 year old son had the same problem. You should have his hearing checked.We found out my son had a retracted eardrum and could only hear a dull version of what we was saying
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 1:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2009