My son is 14 months old and has had diarea for 4 days what do i do?

he has been drinking so he is staying highdrated but his poo is like light green and like water smells really bad what should i do I have gave him banana's and cheese but still nothing?

jyssi1557

Asked by jyssi1557 at 6:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him water and milk ONLY to drink. Juice, pedialyte and gatorade have sugar which make diarrhea worse. (if he's puking or starts to puke, stop the milk)

Give him starchy foods...starch, starch, starch to eat. Let him have all the breads, rices, pastas, potatoes, bananas he wants. (nothing greasy though) No fruits or vegetables right now...nothing that usually MAKES him go. Don't give apples...give applesauce. Applesauce bulks them up.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We just went through this with my 2 yo. Has anyone had the flu? Wait it out and call the doc if it gets worse. DS had it for 6 days.
    CloserToTheEdit

Answer by CloserToTheEdit at 6:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Good luck with this, my 6 month old is going through the same thing. But my MIL said if he was older to feed him rice, bread, no fruits and veggies till that poop thickens up. But it seems no matter where in the country you are, that stomach virus is rampid everywhere and giving everyone the runs. Sucks!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Did he try a new food? He may have a food allergy to something he is eating, could be just a viral infection (thus the green). Remember, sugar drinks creates more diarrhea, eliminate the sugary drinks. Even juices are full of sugar. Try the BRAT diet, B=banana, R=rice, A=apple, T=toast (dry). If it persists, call his pediatrician.

Anonymous

• BRAT diet- bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. And if he won't drink pedialite the pharmacist told me when my son was young that gatorade is the same thing.
    Anonymous

• doesnt apples make you have the poops though? Not sure?
    jyssi1557

Answer by jyssi1557 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009