Is it normal for a little girl to touch herself to sleep, and more?

I have read the answers to the question "is it normal for a little girl to touch herself" but it seems my daughter goes beyond that. She is now 6 years old and she has been fondling herself since she was 3 yrs old. She actually lays on her stomach and humps her hand when she is napping or at bed at night. Her hands often smell like she has been touching herself almost every day and I make her go wash them. It doesn't seem normal to me. It seems like it is way too much and I am wondering if I should seek professional help of some kind.

lovingmom945

Asked by lovingmom945 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I was told this is totally normal although I never encountered this with my girls my niece at 3 got reprimanded for doing this during nap time at school and disrupting the nap time for everyone, it came with moans and groans of pleasure until she fell asleep. I would not worry too much, just make sure you tell her that this is done in private......I don't think there is a need for professional help, she found a pleasure point and is using it....

Answer by older at 11:05 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Just because you find it gross, anon, doesn't mean her question isn't valid. Maybe you should try coming up with something useful to say.

OP, maybe ask her pediatrician.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• anon get a grip, there is nothing wrong with this question or the OP, what is wrong with you!

Answer by older at 11:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• A true person doesn't talk about a child touching himself and smelling his hands. Reread it. It's been reported.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• What is your definition of a "true person"? That doesn't make sense to me. My dd is 7 and is constantly smelling her hands. Not after she touches herself (that I know of), but none the less I don't find that behavior that odd. Kids discovering themselves is not that rare either. I think you are just a tad too tightly wound.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:22 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• This is totally normal. My friend runs a daycare and they have a "humper" too. At naptime, she masturbates herself to sleep. She knows as soon as she wakes up she must use the bathroom and wash her hands.

You need to just tell her that it for private time only, to be done only in her room with the door closed, and that private parts have a smell (she knows that's where pee and poop comes from by now) ad that she must wash her hands.

Please ignore the douche canoe anon.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:26 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• A true person doesn't talk about a child touching himself and smelling his hands. Reread it. It's been reported

Answer by Anonymous 24 minutes ago

ANON maybe you should reread the question. She is talking about a girl not a boy.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 11:42 AM on Apr. 7, 2013

• So tell me anon why is this post still up?

Answer by older at 12:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• She does it because it feels good and it's comforting for her. She just needs to learn that it's a private activity and that she shouldn't do it when anyone else is around.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 12:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• My daughter is 6 and has been doing it since 3sh. I also remember doing it as a girl, so I wasn't totally shocked but of course didn't really know how to respond. I did let my husband know because I did not want him giving it a negative reaction. Its a very natural thing, just noone likes to talk about it. in preschool, nap time was a little embarassing. The teachers asked me about it, I said yes it was something she did when she was bored or tired, it was a way of comforting herself. So they would just gave her colors or a book during nap time to keep her hands busy. I first ignored it, but gradually just started telling her calmly that it wasn't something we did in front of everyone, that she needed to go to her room for privacy. She would steal try to sneak doing it on the couch here and there and without any reaction I would just simply say, you need to go to your room for that.
    stacy076

Answer by stacy076 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2013