When do they do the first ultrasound?

I just found out I'm pregnant with my second baby. I should be around 6 weeks and I have my first appointment in a few days.

I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks with the first but that was because I had some bleeding and they were making sure everything was okay.

When did you have your first ultrasound?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• avg 20 weeks to detect abnormalities and gender
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Depends on the doctor and the reasons for the ultrasounds. I had my first at 8 weeks with my oldest, mostly because that's when they did them. I had my first around 5 weeks with my youngest because I was having some problems. My sister didn't have one until around 20 weeks, because her doctor didn't do early ones. She found out at 20 weeks that she was having twins!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• I had a viability at 10 weeks w/ DS, 20 weeks for anatomy and 38 weeks for size. Plus an 'entertainment one at 18 weeks.
    DD, I had one at 7 weeks due to bleeding, 10 weeks to double check viability, 20 weeks for anatomy, 30 weeks to check her because of lack of regular movement, 35 week(I don't remember why but there was a concern...) and 38 weeks for size. Plus and entertainment one at 19 weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• I had an ultrasound at the end of the first trimester because the doctor wanted to determine for sure how far along I was, which was stupid because I knew the exact date of conception since I only had sexual contact once during that time. I had another at about six months along.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Whenever my OB scheduled one. Which was typically the "gender" ultrasound and one more at like 36 weeks.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• The one and only ultrasound I had with either of my kids was at 20 weeks.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• For me I had my first ultrasound at 19 1/2 wks
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Usually around 19 weeks. If everything is healthy this might be the only ultrasound you have.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• I didn't have one til 22 weeks with my first, but the OB I saw with my second did a scan every appointment, so 6 weeks with him.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Around 9 or 10 wks.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2013