Finding a supportive OB/GYN

When my Husband and I found out that we'd only have children by c-section we initially thought that this might really limit our family size till we found out after our second child from the surgical report and talking to our doctor that I have little to no scar tissue. The doctor's keep talking about us stopping having kids after 3 based on a myriad of risk factors all based on the build up of scar tissue even though they have a report in they're hand on my specific case which says I'm not at risk based on a lack of said scar tissue. I get handed a paper that lumps complications of women having 4th or greater c-sections even though there is an obvious difference between your 4th pregnancy and your 9th(not to mention older mother,grand multipara,etc... with 9th pregnancy).

If they show me excessive scar tissue or bleeding or thinning of the uterus on the surgical report but so far all they give me is a number based on a problem I don't have.

I'm the only c-section mother in my family and most of my friends don't have kids yet so since just asking around is not really a possibility how is a good way to find a supportive Ob/gyn without coldcalling everywhere?
I just don't want to be bugged about supposedly taking my life into my hands and this is only my third pregnancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2013 in General Parenting

• you mean finding an OB that isn't going to say "oh, youve had 2 C sections, you should abort this kid so you dont have another one"?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• she asked the same exact question the other day
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Here I thought warning patients about POSSIBLE complications from their own risky behavior was in the best interest of the patient and part of a doctor's job. I mean a doctor of a diabetic isn't going to turn a blind eye when he sees his patient guzzling a 32 oz soda in the office. He's going to warn his patients of the risk of drinking a beverage with as much sugar as a pack of Keebler soft chunk cookies. Or would you prefer he hook his patient to an IV of high fructose corn syrup instead? Likewise due to YOUR medical history and similar cases your doctors are doing their job by telling you of the potential risks of continued c-sections and how IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR HEALTH it might be wise to consider limiting the number of children you have. Just because you lack the scar tissue does not mean you are not at risk.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Couldn't you just say, look, I'm having this baby, and it needs to be by C-section. Can you help me or not?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Yes josiesmommy and I put it in the pregnancy answers that gets less traffic and only got one answer. I thst it might be nice to have some variety.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Why did you agree/have a c-section the first time?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• @KristiS11384 Risks like any infection or bleeding are always present because it's surgery I understand but abnormal placental placement are from scar tissue.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Yes and every subsequent pregnancy and c-section increases the likelihood of such complications occurring whether or not you have excessive scar tissue present at the current time. They are just doing their jobs. Maybe you ought to listen to them for once. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Scar tissue can develop at any time, the risk is there with one surgery.. Several surgeries increase that risk. They are doing their job by giving you all the facts and yes it could happen to you despite the previous report.. Finding a OB that is willing to accept you as a pt after X amount of sections can be the hard part. The liability is huge for them and lawsuits can be filed up to 18 years after birth.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• i already answered this question. why are you posting it again?
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2013