Do you ever get heart palps once in a while?

what usually causes them? I am unsure now if it is just anxiety or stress it freaks me out.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2013 in Health

• Heart palpitations are fairly common and most times they are related to stress or anxiety. You can also get them after having caffiene, alcohol or smoking.
    It's very rare that they can be a sign of something more serious.
    If it becomes constant, then discuss it with your Dr. He'll probably schedule you for a stress test.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Maybe your Dr. can order a stress test & put your mind at ease. Then you'll know it's hormones & nothing more serious. GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• You mean PVCs?  YES, I get them often, and have ever since I was a kid.  Feels like a fish flopping around in my chest sometimes.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Could be a-fib as well. Best to try to track it and journal certain factors like food, drink, sources of stress. You should mention it to your Dr.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Atrial Fibrillation.  Honestly though, it could be pretty much anything, that's why it's important to journal other conditions when it happens and talk to your Dr. about it.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Well freaking out causes them so stop that! lol :p Anyway, if you are pre-menopausal, then that can happen. But you know what I'm gonna tell ya to do- TALK TO YOUR DR. Don't mess around when it comes to your heart health.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• It can also be caused by a potassium problem, or any number of things. Hopefully the doctor will rule out anything to be concerned about.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• My hubby gets SVT. He was told it's stress and too much caffeine.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Yes. If they are just from stress, you can actually stop them by a valsalva maneuver. That's similar to making yourself burp. You can Google it if you want to know the technical info.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• Yes, quite often. When I was younger it scared the crap out of me....it would happen and I'd feel like I lost my breath for a second. My doctor said it was benign....that it's not unusual but that many people don't notice
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2013