Missions trip to Ecuador

So dh asked me if I would be interested in going on a missions trip to Ecuador next year. He would like to go and I wouldn't mind, other than the fact that Jesus is being pushed on these people. I would have to sit through prayers, bible studies, and I'm not sure if I would be asked to assist in spreading the good word and I think that's the only thing I wouldn'wane able to do. I would love to go, and I love that it was my dhs idea and that he wants to help people. I'm not sure though. Would you go on a trip even if it was with a religious or non religious group contrary to your beliefs?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 11:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you do not want to participate in the program that they are offering, then you should not go.

And no if the reason for the mission was not something I was TOTALLY on board with, I would not go.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• I probably would because it would be great to see a new part of the world and help people with whatever necessities the trip is providing. Could you bow out of the Bible studies if you didn't want to participate, or say you wouldn't be comfortable spreading the word but you'd be glad to participate in the more practical aspects of the trip?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• i dont agree with pushing religion on anyone. so no i wouldnt go
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 11:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2013

• I would go. Just being able to help those that are less fortunate than us would be life changing.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• they arent going to help the less fortunate.. they are going to push the bible and their belief on them. how the hell is that helping. religion isnt going to put food on their plates. a roof over their head....PMSMOM...how about you stay in america and go help the less fortunate. Stop worrying about other countries. we have poor people here, starving people here just as much as they do.. help your own country before others
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Most mission trips, as well as giving people information about religion, also focus on helping in a specific practical way--dispensing basic healthcare and medication, planting trees, digging wells, teaching people about improved land conservation and farming techniques, etc.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• No. Although mission trips sometime involve doing basic services to help the people the main focus is telling people about God. I'm surprised your husband would ask or that your church would let you go if you don't believe. I have been on mission trips but this is not a sightseeing trip nor strictly a humanitarian one.

Answer by missanc at 6:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I'm all for mission trips but I couldn't personally do it. I have heard way too many stories of people getting kidnapped and beheaded. It creeps me out.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I would love to go on a Mission trip. My church recently had one to the DR but I couldn't make it due to work. They did have Vacation Bible School for the kids but they also did ident a kid and health care while there. They also brought medical supplies, shoes, towels, etc for a Childrens Home.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• If you really want to go, ask whoever is corrdinating the trip if they will take volunteers who don't have to participate in the religious activities.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2013