How can I get my cat to stop pooping on the carpet?

When she first started doing it I took her to the vet, thinking maybe it was a medical issue. The vet said she was fine. I've tried different litters to see if that would make a difference but no luck. I have two litter boxes for her which are cleaned daily but that hasn't helped either. I haven't made an changes to the home that might have thrown her off and it's just her and I that live there. She's spayed and is strictly an indoor cat. She's only three years old and I'm at my wits end. I can't take this anymore. Can anyone help?

tillie194

Asked by tillie194 at 5:39 AM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Pets

• What did you use to clean up the carpet the 1st time? If any fecal smell remains,they'll continue to use that spot

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• There is a spray that pet stores sells for this purpose it will make the cat stop going in that one spot , it takes a while but it has worked for me....

Answer by older at 7:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 7:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Yeah fecal odor is really hard to get out so she thinks she's supposed to go there now. Buy an Enzymatic cleaner, found at any Walmart, Target, pet store or online. You need to pour some into that area and let it soak through and dry naturally. However, you need to address why she won't use the box to begin with. What kind of litter do you use? brand? I find that Unscented litter helps because sometimes the fragrance is too strong that the cat thinks it's already in the litter box. It also helps the house smell less like cats. The location of the boxes could be an issue if it's not in a semi-private or lighted area. Cats really can't see that well at night. Use a night light near the boxes. Also, your floor/carpet may have residue from a previous pet living there or a substance that spilled. Add enzymatic cleaner to a carpet steamer to clean the entire area to be sure. Clumping litter is best.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:09 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Also sweep/vacuum any tracking or spillage of litter outside of the boxes daily. If they feel something that feels like litter, they will think they are already in the box. You may want to invest in a vinyl mat to put under the boxes if they are on carpet. Do not use any mats designed to keep litter from tracking because I find they actually confuse the cats. Just a clean floor will work. They also like boxes without hoods. I use storage containers that are about 7 inches high and 1.5 feet wide. They like wide boxes and sometimes like to perch their front legs on top of the rim to get a better potty angle.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:20 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-Home-FG3Q22CLMCB-Clever-Store-15-Quart-Basic-Latch-Stackable-Snap-Top-Each/23504724

A wide litter box that is not too high but deep enough to pour 3 inches of litter into it.

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:22 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• You can also try rubbing cheap shaving cream into the carpet anywhere your cat has pooped, letting it set awhile, and then scrubbing it out. No stains, and for some reason, the shaving cream gets the odor out down to the fibers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2013