How can I get my 2 year old to go to bed....

I have a 2 year old that refuses to go to bed without me laying down with him. He shares a room with his big brother. Casyn (5) is on the top bunk and Bryce (2) is on the bottom. I really think it's the bunk beds, because before then he was fine with it. I have tried to make it appealing to him...but again it has to be me. I've tried to leave him in there...but he throws the biggest fit. Any suggestions...I'm afraid this is becoming a habit I don't want to have to break down the road...so nib it in the butt now.

CasynBrycemama

Asked by CasynBrycemama at 6:41 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It depends:
    If you think he is afraid of something, monsters for example, then try to give him something to protect him. My daughter has a stuffed dragon whose only job in life is to bite any monsters he sees. He does a great job and she knows there are no monsters in her room because he is there.
    If you think he's just throwing a fit to get his way then what do you do when he throws a fit? Give in and stay with him? What do you do when he throws a fit for a cookie? Give in and give it to him? A fit is a fit. He is old enough to understand "I'll come back and check on you in 5 mintues."
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:56 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Our son is the same. I belive in making him stay in his room by himself and just checking on him . I know tv is controversial but we bought a dvd of spongebob and just play it for him and normally he just watches it till he goes to sleep. As long as he's quiet, in bed, and good he can watch the movie. The second he starts playing off the movie goes and alls dark. When this happens he normally cries himself to sleep.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The way I see it, teaching your children to put themselves to sleep allows them to build necessary confidence and independance that will benefit them in all areas of their lives.

If I were you, I would spend part of the day talking with him and preparing him for what the new bedtime routine will be - no more lying down with him. Talk with him about it in a way that will encourage him and let him know that YOU know he can do it without you. Approach it the same way you would with riding a bike or any other skill. Maybe talk with him about what his fears are.
    That evening, go about your normal bedtime routine with him, kiss him goodnight, lights off, and leave the room. The first time he comes out, take his hand and say to him "It's time for bed darling." Put him to bed and leave the room. The second time he comes out say "It's time for bed." and take him back. Every time after that, take him back to bed and say nothing.
    butterflyenergy

Answer by butterflyenergy at 4:47 PM on Feb. 17, 2009