I found a recipe on The Stir...what do you think of these alterations?

Here is the recipe:

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans (drained)
1 can of corn (drained)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans (drained)
 8 ounces tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle of beer
2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 package of taco seasoning
3 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Place the onion, beans, tomato sauce, beer, and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend.
Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover, and cook for 5 hours.
Remove chicken breasts from the soup, and allow to cool long enough to be handled, and shred.
Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup, and continue cooking for 2 hours.

I don't have black beans, kidney beans, beer or taco seasonin. Can I substitute ranch style beans and what can't use for taco seasoning? I usually make my own and do it to taste. I hope broth or water will work for the beer, maybe?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 7:24 AM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I don't think it will taste anything like the original recipe. It seems to me that those items are pretty important to it tasting however it's supposed to taste.

With that said, there's no law that says you can't use the things you mention having, and kind of make your own recipe that jumps off of this one.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:38 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Try it and see. You have nothing to lose. The original recipe sounds like something I might want to try.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:31 PM on Apr. 8, 2013