How many of you can't stand when someone hates you because of what religion you are in, instead of how you are?

Atheists, Buddhists, Christians, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, anyone..Does it annoy you when someone judges you on what religion you are instead of WHO you are? I hate it when people automatically assume things just because of what religion I go by when they don't even know me. Who else is tired of the discrimination? It's in all religions, I know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep its annoying but also sometimes very funny. Im Christian and to me seeing people be completely rude and intolerant because they ASSume I am makes me laugh.

Answer by gemgem at 6:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Its obnoxious.
    Unfortunately its also something that wont ever go away. There will ALWAYS be people who think they are better than you because they took a different path to their beliefs.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The same typecasting comes when you tell someone what you do for a living, where you live, what college you graduated from. It's just another gauge people use.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 6:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I find all religion interesting. I myself don't believe in religion. My DH's family is Jewish and Catholic but I don't think they practice much. We just get together for dinner on holidays. I don't know anyone who has a problem with religion. Maybe Muslim, I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about Muslims.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 6:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It really makes me angry. It makes me even more angry when they bring my daughter into it!!!
    We are Muslim.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 7:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yes it is very annoying.. what I hate most of all is when I say I dont go too church and get a lecture from some random person who feels the need too knock on my door every other day.
    1andonly98

Answer by 1andonly98 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I try not to hate anyone for any reason. I worry that people will judge me harshly all the time over anything. I would hope not to hate anyone w/o major reasons. I'm sorry if this has been your experience. Not everyone is like that.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I get it twice - first people assume I'm Christian and treat me horribly for it because I'm conservative, then a whole different group of people get mad when they find out I'm conservative but *gasp* not a Christian, and I get to deal with all their projected insecurities, too. What's funny, is for these two groups that hate each other, it's totally common grown - being an ass to anyone they don't think agrees with them. They should be joining hands and running in the fields in harmony.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• It's no different than being judged by the color of your skin or your ethnicity. It definitely sucks.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Its not just us Pagans who catch heat. Christians being treated badly by other Christians because they don't hate other people because of who they worship. Muslims because of a few extremist that are Muslim. Every faith has extremist. The list goes on. As long as we don't cater to those extremist and keep moving forward then we are the better for it. Let the haters spin their wheels in the mud, it's their choice to hate. As it is our choice to learn and move forward.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:12 PM on Feb. 16, 2009