So orioles love grape jelly huh?

We went to a Walmart in a nearby town,and I was confused by an end cap that had bird feeders and grape jelly on the same shelf. A lady walking by mentioned that they love the stuff. I guess you learn something new everyday.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Hmmmm. Im an avid birder for over 20 years. I do not recommend it at all?

Birds developed the way they did by adapting to the environments in which they lived and the foods that sustained them. We do our best for them when we stick as closely as possible to their natural diets

Give them fresh fruit and seeds instead.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:05 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• interesting.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I've been a bird watcher for a number of years and never heard this before. Wonder exactly how you apply the grape jelly to the bird feeder???
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Part of the problem too is the bacteria that will grow if the jelly is out there more than a few hours. It can kill the birds. Plus, it will attract a variety of insects, like you said.

I'm firmly against it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Oh and it is very,very bad for fledglings. They need protein and not all that sugar. The parents tend to find a reliable source and bring the baby birds to it.

Some folks feed it to them during migration. I can in a way understand that, but I still don't recommend it.,
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Sorry for the punctuation errors. iPad auto check is wacky today. Lol.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• That's what i was thinking too,PandaGwen
    Also,as that jelly dried in the sun,you'd have bees,hornets,and wasps all over

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Kids love ice cream, too, but it's not good for them to have on a regular basis.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2013