Teacher recommend that I should have my son repeat Kindergarten. What should I do?

My son is 5 years old, he will turn 6 the end of April. Let me give you a little backround of the situation. My son had delayed speech and articulation problems. Since he started kindergarten he has been working with a speech pathologist and has made great improvement. I recently had a meeting with his teachers and they recommend that he repeat Kindergarten because of his speech, being a bit behind on reading and he does not participate as much as the other kids verbally in class but that is because he feels shy/ lack of confindence because of his speech. He is doing great in math and he really is a great student.

I am torn on what to do. I can see benefits of both decisions. I think If I had him repeat K he would be older and more confident, he would have more time to work on speech etc...Then I think if I work with him alot from know thru the summer maybe we can catch up etc...

Kindergarten is far from what it used to be!! I agree that education is important but they expect theser little kids to do 1st grade work in K.

If you have been in this situation or one similar or are a teacher can you please give me some advice. I know the decision is up to me I am just looking for more points of view.

emeraldeyes98

Asked by emeraldeyes98 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 8, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd have him repeat. It's much better to repeat now than possibly having issues later when he's older.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Is he so far behind he can't get caught up this summer? Do you have the time and patience to work with him to get him caught up?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:57 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Repeating is not a big deal at this age. If you can't get him where he needs to be as kmath said, definitely let him stay.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:59 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I'm not sure I agree that he would feel more confident repeating kindergarten. I would think that might actually make him feel a bit less confident, because he's having to do it over again. Maybe that's just my adult perspective, and a child wouldn't see it that way, but that's what I'm thinking.

However, that doesn't mean you should just send him on, either. I guess the question is: would you be able to truly work with him enough over the summer to bring him to a first grade level? We're talking, what, 2-3 months? How far behind is he? There's a difference between "he's just a little slower than others" and "he can't even read his own name". If his lag is just a bit behind the other kids, and you really think that you can catch him up in 2-3 months, then go for it. But if he's dramatically behind, then it might do a lot more good for him to stay in kindergarten one more year and get a firm grasp on things.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• It is K, much better to repeat now then have to do it later where it is more of a deal for the kids.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:00 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• @wendythewriter I don't feel he is that far behind. I really believe it is just his speech. He understands what is being said, he can count to 100, he can write his name and other words, he knows alot of sight words, up to par with math.
    emeraldeyes98

Comment by emeraldeyes98 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• We Mom's know our kids better than ANYONE else, is he ready to move up, our would one more year at this time be what he needs to face the future. Having r son repeat was the best thing we ever did for him, even after doing that he just wasn't ready for the "big leagues". He did speech therapy in 1st grade, and was recommended for a reading assistance program in 2nd. But by the end of 3rd grade was being recommend for the gifted academy, sometimes boys just need a little extra time.

He is now 25, graduated from HS and College with High Honors, Finishes his Masters in Aug, travels all over the World for his job, the youngest person ever to hold his position in that company (one of Fortune 500's top 25 companies).

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:08 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I didn't mean to imply he was doing horribly - I only used that example to make sure that the difference would be clear.

My youngest had a speech impediment when he was younger, so I do understand that throwing things off. He still sometimes stop to think before he speaks, and his reading is a bit more stilted (he's 9) than other kids his age. But I also know (we homeschool) that though he sounds stilted, he fully understands what he is reading and will be fine.

I think, if you feel you can catch him up, you know him best. If you think you can do it, then go for it. Teachers tell you what they tell you based on their experience with many children, but each child is an individual and just because the other kids they've taught might have benefited from being held back, it doesn't mean your son won't benefit just as well from you working with him and moving on to 1st grade.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:14 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Teachers don't often recommend that kids repeat a grade unless it's very necessary. I had a friend when I was a kid that repeated Kindergarten. Her birthday is/was in July (we're not friends anymore). It was the best thing for her. She just was NOT ready for first grade.

If he's going to repeat a grade, the younger the better. There is not nearly the same stigma of repeating kindergarten as there is if you flunk a grade in middle or high school.

I would follow the teacher's recommendation and have him repeat kindergarten.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:18 AM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I would have him repeat it. My Son turned 6 right after he started Kindergarten. I didn't think he was ready to start the previous year at 5. He did 2 years of Preschool. He is very smart but was not mature enough yet IMO. Many of the other children in his class are also 6. Actually more than 1/2 the kids are 6. I am glad I did it too. Many of the other Mom's said they should have waited also. So it will only benefit him by redoing Kindergarten again. Let him get ahead now or else he may always be struggling & behind. The Teachers have a lot of experience too in what they recommend. Maybe you can get him some tutoring over the summer as well. Then he'll be more than prepared. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2013