child support, should I request review?

My girls bio father pays almost 300 a month in child support. This is based on minimum wage, and I know he makes double that in his current job.
My thing is I don't really need the extra money- we just save the money we get or use it for fun stuff every once in a while (christmas, shopping trips, school clothes)
Also, he is being awesome as far as the girls go and working with my schedule for his visitation- but he was not always so. I am afraid if I requested a review he would know I requested it and it will mess up the nice flow of "friendliness" we have going on now.
would you leave it alone so as to not deal with the possible repercussions?

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 6:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know how it is in your state, but where I am, child support will be automatically reviewed every couple of years. Check to see if your state will do it automatically and then just wait for it. Like you said, you don't need the money, so why push for it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• if you don't need the money, I wouldn't even bother with it. But on the other hand, the extra could go directly into a savings account for her for college.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I would leave it alone!!! It will make him hostile I'm sure, that's how most men react. But I would for sure mention to him that you think he should also be setting aside money towards education for them, as you do!
    Anonymous

• I would leave it be and/or mention opening a college saving account.
    If you open this can of worms it can end up a mess and your daughters will also bear the brunt.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• hahahhaha.. be thankful for what you are getting!!!!!! hahahaha my sons dad hasnt paid jack shit. and i work one day a week! LLLAAAMMEE!!.. but to answer your question, i would just leave it alone, if hes being nice to you, and actually paying, then be nice to him, cus hes prolly struggling to.
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 10:21 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i too, would leave it alone..as much as i would want the extra money just cuz its his right and responisbility to pay..its not worth the hassle or the headache having to deal with him getting all upset or this..you said things are great..so leave it be..now if one dayhe decides to be an ass..lol..then go for it!! paybacks a bitch!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• why do you want a review if you dont need the money?
    Anonymous

• sounds like you are just trying to be nosy and see what he makes
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies- and not at all on the being nosey, he has told me what he makes. I don't need to be nosey.
    I wouldn't consider the review for myself, but I know for a fact he will not save money for their school and that has been my concern. i wondered if I was wrong to ignore it knowing that it is keeping money from the girls.

The actual point that made me question whether I should review is that he seems to think he can claim them on taxes every other year, which is certainly not part of any agreement we have made, and I have them 90% of the time. It made me think that if he seriously thinks he deserves the deductions on his taxes then he should pay the full amount of the child support per income.

You all have just backed up my own feelings and I plan on leaving it alone. my state reviews every 7 years.
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 3:48 PM on Feb. 17, 2009