How good of a debator are you?

Let's switch things around a little. If you don't believe in a God take the side that there is a God. If you do believe take the side that there isn't. How good can you do to convince someone of something you don't actually believe in? Try not to use the same arguements that you hear on here already. Try to be original in defending something you don't believe in.

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 4:07 PM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Well if the goal is to convince the other person to change their beliefs it doesn't matter how good a person is at debating because it won't matter. If the goal is to share a differing perspective and convince the other that they may be mistaken in making sweeping generalizations in regards to "your" beliefs than you've got possibilities. If the goal is to convince the other person you know what the heck you're talking about in regards to the religion being "switched" to (say we would infiltrate a group in order to convince the members of said group that we belong to an "opposing" belief, again you've got possibilities and the results may surprise you as to who knows what ( and who can convince others they are a religion they really are not).
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I'm a master debater....
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:17 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• While I believe I could "debate" the way you're asking, OP, I do agree with the others on here who have said that what we do here is more like discussing and sharing. I'm not here to convince anyone or to have the best argument, or even to be good at it. I'm here to share, to discuss, to hear other points of view, to represent my own, and merely to be a participant in the whole, if that makes sense. I understand the other sides of the discussion - I'm constantly studying the various religions, and I love hearing people share their beliefs and conclusions - so I could defend them if needed (actually, I do just that when need be. If someone's faith is being misrepresented, or if a belief is being criticized without someone to defend it, etc, I'm more than capable of standing up for that faith). But the thing about religion is there is no "right" or "wrong," no "winner" or "loser" in this kind of "debate."
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I think I could handle it. I used to be a Christian and haven't forgotten it.

Lawyers do this every day.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• the point of religious debate is not to convince the other side. its not a political argument. its suppose to be a mature discussion and exchange of ideas/beliefs. and anyways, i dont see how i can or why i would even try to convince someone that the opposite of what i believe, that seems kind of dumb.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• If you don't believe in a God take the side that there is a God. If you do believe take the side that there isn't.

What about us Polytheists?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I am not a good debater.
    My understanding is that you are given a topic and then one is assigned one side to research the facts and the other take theopposite point of view. It is supposed to be backed up by documented materials. If I understand it correctly, it is not supposed to be necessarily what you yourself believe in but the veiw point that you were assigned to present and defend.

If we are talking about debate on CM then none of us really do the job justice. What we have is discussion IMO. Often backed by opinion.

I often took the oposite side of a discussion to see if there are holes in my own thinking and reasoning. MO is that you should be able to see both sides, even if you in favor of only one.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• The idea came from my nephew. He had to argue for something he doesn't believe in for a school debate. He got an A so he must have done well. I guess I just wondered if any of us could do the same.
    baconbits

Comment by baconbits (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I think some of us can but are more invested in our own views lol.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:30 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• It is relatively simple to debate either side of an argument. All you need is to do your research, be open to opposing view points, poke holes in your own argument and fix them prior to the debate, present your side, and then LISTEN. Listen intently to the other side, take in the whole of what they have to say and digest it before attempting to debate it. Assess which points of theirs are valid and should be avoided and assess which points are the weakest and most likely to fall apart. If you have done your research, the verbal volley back and forth should be relatively civil and simple to maintain.

However, that isn't really what this section is about. As several others have stated, it is more about a sharing of ideas and discussing the points which we might need to look a little closer at our own beliefs and pre-held suppositions.

I kind of doubt you will get anyone to play this game you are attempting.
    Anonymous