I have just received a check for a little over $6,000.00

My bills are paid and my car is not new but it works fine. No kids at home and not college bills.
DH said it is mine to do with as I choose but I do not know what to do with it.

DH and I could go on a vacation or
I could buy a couch
or I could put it in savings or bury it in the backyard

I do not really want to be practical so what would you do?
The money came from an aunt who died about 6 months ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• 600 new vibrators?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:16 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• buy the couch, go on a mini vacation and save the rest.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Save it for a rainy day. You will need it someday and it will be nice to have it when you need it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• If I were in your circumstances: Vacation!!

If I got the $6,000 it would either go on my Student Loan or into the "Buy a Home" savings fund!

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:18 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• If you bury it in the backyard please send me your address and the exact location of the money and I will keep an eye out for it ;)
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• A couch, a mini-vacation & save the rest.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• If you don't have a burning desire to do something put it in a safe short term investment like a CD at the bank and I guarantee you will think of something awesome while you wait for it to mature. If you don't think of anything, reinvest it until you do. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:49 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Don't bury it in the back yard. Most checks have a date which you need to cash it by or it voids the check.
    Don't spend it on 600 $10 vibrators either It would be worthless, one you can't fit that many anywhere, two the $10 ones don't do much except vibrate and usually at one speed.. Though you could go for 60 $100 vibrators and get all the bells and whistles.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Bank $5000 and splurge with the $1000. Take a vacation, see a show, go to a nice restaurant and order the $300 bottle of champagne, go to a spa and get a massage, eat a pint of ice cream, go sky diving or parasailing. Do something and enjoy it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:03 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• What she said ^^^: bank or invest most of it and splurge with some of it. When I'm on a diet, I allow myself a day to splurge/eat whatever I want. It makes the whole dieting thing easier. Splurging with some of the money makes it easier to save/invest the rest.

Personally if I had an extra 6 grand, bills were paid, car was fine, I would update my wardrobe a bit (since I've lost some weight and my clothes hang on me), get my hair done (trim and highlights), go on a weekend get a way with my SO, put some in savings and invest some.

Have fun with that. Sorry for your loss.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:54 PM on Apr. 8, 2013