OMG, so upset , I need something to take my mind off of this, have to pick the kids up,,,

My mother went in for an operation today, she wen to FL, and now has had a stroke, my father is 80 years old, it was supposed to be a minor thing, but now she is in a coma, I wanted to be there, but have a new job, that prevents me from taking time off.
I am super sick, worried, crazy, at the moment.
IDK what to exactly do, if I go I will not have the job with the company.
Can you tell me or help me think about postitive thoughts? I just had my Dad put the phone up to my Mom's ear, and I heard her respond.
I feel like a total asshole.

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 5:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Relationships

• Aw, Jersey, I really am sorry. Guilt is unproductive, though. You couldn't know the surgery would get more complicated than it was supposed to, and really, there isn't a lot you could be doing now even if you had gone. Hang in there.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:37 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. But there is nothing you can do for her right now. She knows you care & she needs rest. Maybe you can fly out on friday night & see her for the weekend & come home Sunday night. I am praying for her :(
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• You are protected under the Family emergency medical leave act. Go to your employer and tell them that you need to be with your mother at this time, and need a family medical emergency leave of absence. I think it was Clinton who signed it into law. You can take up to one year under this rule. Hope all works out well for you and your family.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I am so sorry you are going through this. Sending positive thoughts your way. Just try to get a hold of a Dr. so that they may give you a little piece of mind hopefully. ((hugs))
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:27 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I am so sorry this is happening but if your new employer is anything but human he will understand why you need to be there....

Answer by older at 6:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• jerseydiva, don't feel like an asshole. Sending positive thoughts to you & your family and hoping you get to be with your mom ASAP!
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Jerseygirl, I am so sorry. Is there anyone else that can go and help your dad right now? Maybe you can talk to the hospital and see if there is someway to make sure he is also being taken care of. Sometimes they have a program similar to visiting nurse that touches base with older souses when they have someone in the hospital. I will send you all the positive thought and energy that I can for you and your parents.
    I will be honest with you, the only thing you would be able to do is sit with her off and on, for now. Do keep calling and have the phone put to her ear. hugs
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Are you absolutely sure your new boss won't let you go? Even for a long weekend? I would ask.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 7:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• It was an operation to help with her radiation stuff that wouldn't heal, they removed 1/2 of her stomach, to make some sort of barrier to infection.
    jerseydiva

Comment by jerseydiva (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Sending positive and healing thoughts to your whole family.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:24 PM on Apr. 8, 2013