Ear pain

The pain in my ear varies from a lot of pressure bordering on pain to excruciating when I burp. When I yawn, it hurts, when I chew it's a dull pain... but burping or hiccuping make me see stars. DH wants me to wait until tomorrow to schedule an appointment but I am wondering if I should go into urgent care tonight?

Squeekerz

Asked by Squeekerz at 6:05 PM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Health

• I have a not very popular opinion but here it is. Antibiotics don't actually do anything for most ear infections. They are usually viral and not bacterial. The best thin you can do for an ear ache is use warm compresses, take decongestants, use a netty pot and take anti-inflammatory. A little drop of warm olive oil also may help ease the pain. If the pain last long than a few days or becomes unbearable even with pain meds you might need a steroid to help with the inflammation.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Thank you. I just didn't want to sit around and let it get worse, you know? This is the second day of having this ear problem and it didn't hurt nearly as bad yesterday.
    Squeekerz

Comment by Squeekerz (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• There are muscles in your neck that when they get too tight will cause your ears to hurt. It can also cause jaw and facial pain. I just learned this when my chiropractor had to put my back and neck where it rightfully belongs.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:21 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I'll follow up with But_Mommie's post and say that they can give you some ear drops that will significantly ease your pain. You probably don't need antibiotics but the other drops are nice to have
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:26 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Try taking Benadryl and Claritin. I have a lot of ear pain during allergy season if I don't take a decongestant.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:04 PM on Apr. 8, 2013