• In the Spotlight:

Does anybody know the proper etiquite of who pays for what in a traditional wedding. I mean in terms of brides parents and grooms parents.

My brother is getting married and they are trying to figure it out. They are all friends so it is going well. But talking about money with family and friends is hard :)

Just wondered if anyone knew.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• "Traditional wedding" Brides father pays for all of it.
    Anonymous

• I thought the bride paid for everything except the grooms/men outfits and the honeymoon?

Thats what I remember learning in school anyway.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:00 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• REALLY?!!! I thought it was more split up!
    Anonymous

• I need to know this too...I think we are paying for our entire wedding ourselves since no one has offered to help pay.
    Anonymous

• I learned that the bride's family pays for the wedding and reception. The groom's family pays for the wedding rehersal dinner.

We eloped and paid for everyhing ourselves.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• this site breaks it down for you http://ourmarriage.com/html/who_pays_for_what.html
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:06 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Traditionally, the bride's family paid for the wedding and reception, and the grooms family paid for the rehearsal dinner and the honeymoon, also for the groom / groomsmen outfits.

HOWEVER - something that gets overlooked a lot with this traditional payment method is that the bride and groom didn't have any say in what sort of wedding they got - meaning the brides family decided what they were spending on the dress, what sort of flowers, what the menu at the reception was going to be, etc. The grooms family decided where they were going to send them on their honeymoon as their gift to them, etc.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:30 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• cont

In the more contemporary style, where the bride and groom decide what sort of wedding they want, the tradition is that they pay for it themselves, and if the parents on either side are able to make a contribution, then they make a monetary donation, or they offer to help pay for the flowers, or etc.

However, keep in mind, that even according to Miss Manners (who's by all accounts the expert on this sort of thing), the parents of the bride and groom are under NO obligation - traditionally or otherwise - to pay for any part of the wedding - everything they contribute should be considered a gift. (The reason for this is because even when it was all up to the parents, they could have still chosen to do without flowers, or not send them on a honeymoon, etc.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Traditional: brides' family pays for wedding and reception. Grooms' family pays for rehearsal dinner and if they want to be generous, the liquor and flowers at the reception. The groom pays for the minister/judge/rabbi and the honeymoon.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 7:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Bride's parents pay for everything and Groom's parents pay for rehearsal dinner and bride's bouquet. But this was when the bride lived at home and didn't have a job. These days when the bride may have lived with her fiance for years, then she has assumed an adult role, and her parents are not obligated, nor are his, so the couple could well expect to pay for everything. For my wedding, my parents paid for the reception - which was a cake and little sandwiches, the bridesmaids gowns, the minister and organist. My aunt loaned me her gown and paid for the veil, I paid for the flowers, my fiance paid for the rehearsal dinner. For my youngest son, his fiancee's family paid for everything and I paid for the rehearsal dinner.

Answer by Bmat at 8:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009