Help with my 2 year old in public

Do not get me wrong my DD is not horrible in public, however she is a monkey. She has started to climb out of carts, her stroller, and high chairs. I need to figure out a way to keep her in those things. She has gotten to the point that she will try to climb out of her 3 point harness. How can I get her to stay in the stroller. When I let her out she runs around like a mad woman. I need to figure out a even middle that will let her have her freedom and still be controlled where she doesnt run through aisles??

Any advice would be great!

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 8, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take her to the park or play area in the mall if it's crappy out before you do your shopping or whatever. Let her release some of that extra energy before you need her to be calm! That sounds like common toddler behavior and as she learns more about how to behave in public, it'll slow down.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Leave her home & do your shopping at night or on the weekends so you can have someone else watch her. If she stops going out with Mommy she'll get the message. Make it a privilege to go out when she can cooperate. Better safe than sorry. When my Son was that age I could not concentrate to get what I had to so he stayed home with Daddy. I would not let the child run free it's too dangerous at that age.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:55 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Make staying with you and listening a game. It'll be a little bit harder to implement now, but we did this with our kids when the first started walking. They either listened to us or they didn't get the freedom to walk (they both walked before their first birthday).

Red Light: Stop immediately
    Yellow Light: walk/stay with us
    Green Light: GO!!! (usually used in clear areas when we can still have line of sight on them)
    Purple Light: Stop and come back

And, rarely used:
    Blue Light: Look out!! Here's coming Daddy to tickle you!
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:56 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Yikes! That scares me... especially in the parking lots! My granddaughter is 5, but still is so small.... when she is with me, I still stick her in the back of a cart just because it scares me that she will be ran over in the parking lot. I would try to shop without her. If you can't, try to get her to stay in the cart, for her safety and your peace of mind.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Mine went through a phase like that, and I was adamant that she get in the cart. I made anything she wanted depend on the fact that she was in the cart.
    You want to bring your toy? Ok get in the cart and buckle up!
    You want a cookie at the supermarket? OK get in the cart and buckle up!
    And so on.
    I just wouldn't go anywhere that there wasn't a cart available. lol.
    Also, at that age, I started walking with her on sidewalks, etc. Short distances and explained why she had to hold my hand ALL THE TIME or I would just plunk her over my shoulder and return home. That trained her well.
    GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:09 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• Leaving her at home isnt an option because my husband is currently deployed and sadly I do not have a lot of ppl around to watch her. However I think I may make it a game to stay in the cart. She is all over the plac and she does not walk into stores or on sidewalks unless she holds me hand or then her butt gets carried if she refuses. I always know where she is in teh stores bc I am watching her, however I would like it better if I did not have to chase her.
    annabelle092810

Comment by annabelle092810 (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• One other technique is to have her help you shop give her the list with pictures or the sale flyer and have her point out things that match. It makes it a little more fun to go shopping at that age.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I know they're controversial, but I used one of those animal backpack harnesses when my daughter was that age. I wasn't willing to risk her running off and getting snatched by some creep or hit by a car. She always wore a dog or a monkey backpack, and I held the other end of the leash around my wrist.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:42 PM on Apr. 8, 2013

• I agree with the first response, that one way to address her drive for freedom is to do some front-loading that offers her plenty of freedom at times when you expect to be needing to confine her. Provide opportunities for her to run and be free, in contexts that are not stressful for you (the yard, playgrounds, an indoor play area, long hallways in low-traffic areas), so that she is less likely to struggle for her freedom at other times, and so it isn't always about "no." Having outlets where there are lots of "Yes" opportunities might help her accept limits in the store.
    I wasn't always good about noticing how much adapting they were expected to do, and being proactive in order to balance that out. But my kids did respond pretty well to having those balancing opportunities, rather than just being expected to sit & submit.
    Also, stay engaged with her while she's sitting in the cart, so she's a part of your errand & absorbed.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I agree with the backpack harness idea. Some of them are awfully cute and it gives the child freedom but remains near mom. I have been in a store when a child went missing....very scary.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2013