Blue Buffalo dog food makes our pup gassy :(

Ive done a lot of research on different (healthier) dog foods, and Blue Buffalo was in my price range, and our local pet store carried it. So today I started mixing a small bit with her original food, and let me tell you, within a half hour she was farting up a storm, and it smells AWFUL!!! So of course I did some research and all signs point to the high protein in the food that causes the gas. Except doing even MORE research revealed that her original food has more protein than Blue Buffalo, so it doesn't make sense to me. Anyone else have this problem? What could be causing the gas? Suggestions for a different healthy food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Pets

• YES it will do that at the start. Your puppy has to get used to it. My old guy did that too. Once I had him fully switched it took about three days for the gas to finally stop. It works. Trust me. If I feed him one scrap the gas is back. Stick to it!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• It's not uncommon for dogs to get gassy when switching foods, even if both have high protein content. There may just be an ingredient in Blue that your dog isn't accustomed to yet. Keep mixing the food, about a third of a cup every day or two, and see if the gas goes away. If it doesn't, compare the Blue label with the label on the old food and see what ingredients are different. You may be able to find a Blue formula that's closer to what you know your pup tolerates.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• My dog is fed Blue Buffalo exclusively, and she hardly ever has gas.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Agree with Ballad, it's not uncommon for new food to cause gas and diarrhea. Give it time and when her body gets used to the change it should go away. If not try a different flavor (chicken instead of fish etc.) and maybe that will make a difference.

I have been switching my dogs food every time buy a new bag because I was trying to find a good dog food and my vet recommended Blue Buffalo, Canidae, and one other brand and if those weren't in my price range then Purina One or Purina Pro Plan. Since I have a 70 lb dog I can't spend $50 on a 25 pound bag, so the Purina Pro Plan was more feasible, a 50 lb bag was $46
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• It gave my dog horrible diarrhea....yes we switched properly and did everything g right but some dogs just can't handle it
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:21 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Number one Dogs have gas and it only gets worse as they grow.
    Number two any time you change the diet the is some adjustment to the new food and there will be some reaction, usually in the form of gas.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Oh nd I use B and my one dogis gassier than the other but they are Bostons and kwn foreir kller arts. Diferent bree have different issues.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2013