My five-year-old wants to know ...

Why do bruises change color as they heal? (It's one of those questions I told her I'd have to find out the answer to, Rosehawk, since she's been watching a bruise I got on my arm when the screen door was yanked away from her in the wind and hit me the other day.) Google is not being my friend on this one.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Ok, I did my own google search

Search Results

link I started reading

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• LOL

A bruise is a pool of blood under the skin. As the pool dries up it changes colors.

Crafty...do you have a better answer than that?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• They change color because what a bruise is is an under the skin bleeding sore. All the capillaries are broken when you hit the area and they bleed out. At first its swollen and dark cause it's fresh blood. As it heals, the bruise changes color as the blood is removed from the area with normal blood circulation

Answer by older at 7:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I think they change color as your body reabsorbs the blood. Not 100% but I think that's why.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 1:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• When it first appears, a bruise will be reddish looking, reflecting the color of the blood in the skin. By one to two days, the reddish iron from the blood undergoes a change and the bruise will appear blue or purple. By day six, the color changes to green and by day eight to nine, the bruise will appear yellowish-brown. In general, the bruised area will be repaired by the body in two to three weeks after which the skin will return to normal

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• No worries. While the technology for speech to text is amazing, it's still cranky and can be wrong. I'm constantly laughing at the voices in GPS systems. Many of the roads and stuff around where I live are Native words, and Garmin has a hell of a time pronunciation them correctly.

The old TomTom I had would call Interstate 405 (a freeway) Interstate four west five.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• LOL Ballad. Sounds like a frustrating, hilarious, riot. I'm picturing Rosie from The Jetsons malfunctioning and talking a mile a minute like a teen. Then add a drunk in there with the slurring of speech and Oh My! what a mess.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Good searching. I guess I didn't hold my mouth right.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yeah, you should hear the way my screen reader starts stuttering when we get the spelling and punctuationally challenged posts here on CM. Any unrecognizable word in American English is pronounced phonetically. If there's no punctuation mark, the screen reder doesn't pause, no need for breath, after all. So it sounds like a cross between an auctioneer, a robot, and a drunk who has English as his second language.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2013