Parenting Without Sight

I decided to post this link to an online version of a pamphlet I helped to create a few years ago. It's called Parenting Without Sight, and it's an easy read that may answer any lingering questions people might have about how blind moms and dads bring up their kids and cope with everyday child-raising challenges. There's a picture in it of me with my daughter, and many blind friends of mine from across the country are also featured. I don't know how to make the link clicky, but it's worth copying into your Internet browser.

http://nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/brochures/BlindParents/ParentingWithoutSight.html

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• Why does CPS treat people as guilty unless otherwise proven innocent/capable? It's pure discrimination. I swear people in social services and the government agencies in general are just so "blind" themselves and ignorant.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Interesting! Thank you!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Very cool I'll read through it more when I'm more awake. My eyes are still fuzzy right now.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Thanks for sharing!
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 11:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• thanks for sharing.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• The pamphlet was published by the National Federation of the Blind, with pictures, tips, and anecdotes from blind parents, after a couple without sight lost their newborn baby to CPS in 2008 for no reason other than that the nurses at the hospital worried about how the baby would be cared for at home. The couple got the baby back, but they missed out on the first two months of her life. It was right around the time my daughter was born, so I really grieved for that family that had never done anything wrong except be different, while I was lucky enough to have my baby girl in my arms. When the call went out from the NFB, I sent in pictures and stories, along with many blind people I know, because misconceptions about what is and is not possible with a visual disability are not only frustrating to deal with, they can be dangerous to parents and families who are safely raising happy, well-rounded kids.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2013