Did you have tornado drills when you were in school?

I never understood the position they made us get into,crouched down,hands protecting the backs of our necks. If anything fell,it'd still hit us in the head and spine,lol

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 7:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Yup. They still do them...the first Wednesday every month. Growing up we lived across the street from the school...and the siren. Now as an adult we've moved and we still live across the street from a siren!
    We had to do the same thing. I don't know what they do now though.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 8:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• No. But I grew up in NJ.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yeah but we had safe rooms we were corralled into. We just sat in there and sang songs lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I think we did, but we did more fire drills than anything else.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yes, we had to go into the hallways.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• We did and had to do the exact same thing but they changed it to where instead putting our hands over our head to just sitting on the floor waiting for the tornado to pass
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 7:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yep. Crouched down like that all along the halls. I have never asked DD if they do them at her school. We don't get tornadoes often because of the hills around here, but they should still have drills. I'll have to ask when she gets home.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yup, when I lived in the upper midwest. Never had a tornado at school until I moved to Colorado, where I don't remember having done drills. My brother and I were in junior high and it was the last day of school. Tornado hits Boulder of all places and we have to go sit in the hallway (I wanted to go outside and watch)... most of the kids were panicking and my brother and I were laughing and cracking jokes.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yep, all the time. We actually had a couple tornadoes touch down around the school, but not close enough to cause any damage. Except for 6th grade. We were in outside trailers and the alarms near the school weren't working so we didn't hear anything inside the room. I had to walk over to the other trailer and could hear the ones further away. So we all trooped into the school. Good thing too because the one trailer was near the hill and got pushed down it by the wind.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• a few, i remember the crouched position also.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2013