• In the Spotlight:

Bad diaper rash!?!

My son has a bad diaper rash that has been bleeding a little bit and it looks like some layers of skin are gone or that the skin has like cracked. Any suggestions on how to treat it? Ive been putting all natural diaper rash cream on him and giving him warm baths and it is only helping a little bit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I swear by desitin, if it's cracked etc, i would try A&D ointment.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Sounds like yeast. You can call your Dr and they will give you an ointment (cant remember the name right now) that will clear it up in a few hours. literally!

Rash cream really does nothing to yeast. Call your Dr.
    Anonymous

• baby powder with corn starch. dry it up dont make it more moist.
    Anonymous

• Baking Soda in a warm bath. Let him run around his room naked to get his rash really dried then just put on a diaper. Don't use any cream, it keeps the rash(wound) from drying out and healing.

This is advice that worked for my own son's "flesh eating" rash and was given to us by the nurse in our pediatrician's office.

*Hugs* to you, I know how hard it is to see your son screaming with this kind of open, oozing rash.
    By the way, I discovered that citrus fruits and mango causes this for my son.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Corn starch!! It's been used for YEARS, I use it and it dry's it up, clear's it up and it doesn't hurt his bum. Also stop using wipes they hurt and don't help. Use a bowl of warm water, and some rag's ripped up or if you have a lot of baby wash clothes you could use those to wipe with. When the rash is gone you can go back to wipes obviously. I also use sudocreme. If it is that bad though, I would recommend getting cream from the Doc!!
    Anonymous

• P.S you have to make sure his butt is totally dry before you apply any creams, or your just sealing in the moisture and it will NEVER clear up and get worse.
    Anonymous

• i put zinc oxide on it and then desityn on over it. my dd's turned into a blister and i started doing that. i was gone in a couple of days. ask the doc for the zinc oxide.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my daughter [ 2 yrs old] once had a HORRIBLE RASH for DAYS !!! it was really bad, i used all kinds of creams until nothing helped, and i took her to a DR. She had some type of YEAST infection. The Dr. will give u a Special cream for it, and it'll clear it all up in about 2 days....
    Bebe510

Answer by Bebe510 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had the same problem with my daughter at 1 week old...I took her to the dr and they called me in a prescription called Nyastatin. It cleared it up within 2 days. I would see if you can get some I swear by it
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding?? I didn't have any trouble with my son and breastmilk, but my daughter had a bad rash until I finally quit pumping. It started with a red irritation, then she developed what looked to be pustules. They became so red and imflammed, so I tried changing a few things. First, I switched to sensitive wipes. When that didnt work, I tried using water and paper towellets, like what was provided at the hospital. That failed too, then I went back to regular wipes and switched from huggies to pampers. With each change, I also used balmex, which did seem to help. At her 2 week well-check, I asked her pediatrician about the problem. Dr said it was due to the components of breastmilk irritating her skin and how wiping her bottom was actually causing her bottom to absorb it. He said to rinse her bottom after every dirty diaper and let her bottom air dry. He also said petroleum jelly works best on diaper rashes.
    nsteinerlpn

Answer by nsteinerlpn at 9:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009