IS THERE EVER ENOUGH TIME GIVEN TO OUR CHILDREN WHEN WE WORK?

I WORK FULL TIME AND MY DAUGHTER IS A GYMNAST. I FIND IT MORE DIFFICULT EVERY DAY TO FIND QUALITY TIME WITH HER. SHE GOES TO THE GYM RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL AND IS THERE FOR 4 HOURS A DAY. I KNOW, WOW, THAT IS A LOT OF TIME, I CAN TELL YOU SHE LOVES IT AND IS VERY GOOD AT IT. I JUST SOMETIMES FEEL LIKE I AM NOT A VERY BIG PART OF HER LIFE.

tmd148

Asked by tmd148 at 7:11 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Thats why I dont work.
    Anonymous

• What about on weekends? Having some special mother/daughter time at the library or taking a walk? I bet she'd love finding a special note from you in her gym bag.

I am dreading/anticipating that time - DD is almost 7 and I know soon she'll be as grown up as she thinks she is......sigh!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:32 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ANON 730 - how cute are you?

Maybe you can spend some of your time, since you have so much of it, reading grammar books and applying the lessons learned to your sweet and helpful posts.

Nothing wrong with a little book learnin'.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:33 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• *snort* Love you, Wimsey!
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• NO !

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Its probably likely that youre not getting enough time with her but it sounds like you have both made decisions for your life that require this type of sacrifice. Its not wrong or bad, but its just the way it is. Four hours in the gym everyday is a lot and so is working a full time job. Its likely that you will miss one another in all the activity going on. Definitely use the weekends to your advantage but during the week, unless someone is willing to give up time, you can't create more of it. It sounds like youre both very rewarded with what youve decided to accomplish in life. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I actually gave up my career (which I loved) after the birth of my second daughter. I work part-time as a server, and make more an hour than I did in management! We had to make some BIG adjustments to lower our bills, but none of them really hurt. (Don't ask my hubby, he's still mourning the passing of our cable).

Make a date with her every week and KEEP it. Spend 20 minutes a day just talking to her. I still do this because with two, the older always gets less attention.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:20 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I understand. I was active duty Army for many years. Talk about work interfering with child raising. And to make matters worse, my hubby deployed for a year and a half when our son was in first grade. Our son was active in Karate at the time. I would leave work, pick him up from school. He would change in the car for training. We'd stop off someplace after for a quick bite to eat. It was difficult, but he loved martial arts. Are you there with her when she does gymnastics? If so, then that counts as quality time....Most of our one on one time back then was in the car. Its not forever. If you have too, make an appointment to play a board game together (like scrabble or yahtzee) or (and this sounds silly)....get text messaging! Me? I am retired now... Its much easier. I only have to compete with his friends. LOL
    greeneyedlady27

Answer by greeneyedlady27 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you are really focused on your kids, there is such a thing as "quality time". I don't even know if working full time makes any difference in your case because she would be at gymnastics anyway... I don't know if it is ideal, but many kids today are involved in very time-consuming activities. It is the way it is. So, you do have to try really hard to make sure you do get a chance to talk and spend time together. It is important! Don't blame yourself for working, but do focus on finding time to spend with your daughter!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:54 PM on Feb. 21, 2009