What is wrong !!

What is up with all of these colleges and universities? My daughter is a senior in high school. She is a FAB student. Got A's all through high school with numerous extra activities, tons of volunteering and SO much more. She has been accepted to very good colleges but they don't seem to understand that not all people can write a check for $25,000!! I filled out all the application for financial need. When asked how much can I afford to pay and I honestly answered what the hec are they thinkingthat I am lieing to them? We don't have that much money-thankfully I have my necessities of food, water and shelter but my daughter does need to continue her education and these big time universities are very heartless and really should not send me pamphlets of how they can help make college affordable when all they did was give my daughter false hope!! Can anyone relate? I am so upset and hate to se my daughter cry for working so hard and seeing this happen to her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• you don't need to write that check up front. If she is a straight A student why doesn't she apply for scholarships? Grants?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• She can apply for college loans, that is what most people do. The work and pay for what they want.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Well she can get a job and work her way thru college like I did, and you help as much as possible. If she has such good grades then she can get grants etc.

PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• She did get grants.Otherwise it would have costed about $50,000.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• They expect you are going to take out student loans to pay for school. If they give you a huge chunk of the money they really aren't making the money they need to run the place. Not that I think that they run it well, but that's my you can only get so much in aid.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Grants, loans, work study. This is how we've been going to college for decades.

Did you expect she wouldn't have to pay anything at all?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Well education isn't free. If you want a good education you pay for it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yes, I agree. I have heard lately that several colleges around the area are NOT even accepting financial aid. Sure, you can still go get money at a local bank, but your interest is going to be atrocious. That and you will have to make a monthly payment of about $500.00 when you are through.... (as is one of our current employees). You have applied via FAFSA, right?? How about some local groups that do scholarships?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Home equity loan. People even do it to pay for Weddings.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Has she considered going to a community or small state college for the first two years before transferring to the school that she wants to go to? This will save thousands of dollars and may even qualify her for more scholarships when she transfers to the higher costing university.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2013