Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where can a mom with a child with autism get help in WV?!

My son is 9 years old we live in Charleston his whole live and have seen four doctors and not one of them that we have seen with each doctors more then acouple of years agree on the type of meds. he should be on. I dont know any other doctors in the Charleston area. I am willin to go any where that i am able to get to. We do not have a car or someone to take us anywhere,but there is bus service that can take us .

Answer Question

Asked by sun1975 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • start with the health department. They should be able to help at least point you in the right direction.

    Answer by ZaTa at 7:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • Not sure if it'll help, but I know that Pittsburgh, PA has some FANTASTIC doctors, as well as the State College area! I know it'd be a long trek for you, but you wouldn't have to actually see them more than twice a year. Have you asked your current doctor for a referral list of other specialists in the area? If he is unable or unwilling to help, perhaps this will!


    West Virginia



    Answer by LoriKeet at 7:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

  • Morgantown WV has great doctors through their West Virginia University health system. If you get in touch with the DHHR you might be able to arrange for transportation to Morgantown to see specialists. There's also a Ronald McDonald House near the hospital which might be able to provide free lodging for you while you're up there. Good luck. I know it can be frustrating when you feel like you're not receiving the best care for your children.

    Answer by laadeedah at 12:49 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

  • I live in your area and teach in the local school system. I don't know who you have seen so far or who his pediatrician is. Many students see local neurologists or go to places in Morgantown for treatment. I would strongly recommend that you call the Parent/Educator Resource Center which is located in South Charleston. The parents who work there have children with disabilities like your sons. They have lived in the area for many years and their kids have been through the local school system. They can tell you about good doctors, and give you any information that you might need. I don't have the number right now, but if you call the board of education and ask they will get it for you. The board of education's number is 348-7770. Also, if you need information on Autism you can call the Autism Training Center located at Marshall University. They have ALL the answers and are very helpful. Keep us posted!

    Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:18 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • The public school system in WV is required to help. Meet the teacher and see if you can find one that previously working in mental health outside the school system. Also if the child is 3 or less we have a program called birth to 3.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

  • Contact the Autism Services Center in Huntington.
    929 4th Ave
    Huntington, WV 25701
    (304) 525-8014

    Answer by 2smiles4me at 7:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.