Question regarding the term Christian

I found a comment in a group post asking if Mary knew her son would die when he was born. One person responded with the statement that Joseph and Mary were Christians long before Jesus was born.

I have never heard this before. My religious upbringing always talked about Jesus being born a Jew.

Thoughts?

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 1:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• That person is just plain dumb. Christianity did not exist until after Jesus. They were Jews.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I think they were jews and Christianity was born after Jesus.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• That doesn't make any sense. That's like saying "My kids called me Mom before I had them"
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• That's idiotic. Christians are those who follow Christ, the Annointed One. Before Christ, there were noChristians. In fact, Christianity was considered a sect of Judaism for quite some time. Mary and Joseph were Jews, plain and simple.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Jesus was a Jew, his family was Jewish. Christian means someone who follows the teachings of Christ, how could his family follow his teachings before he was born or taught them? ;)

The first Christians were also Jews, as other comments have mentioned.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• wow...ive heard some crazy things in the church, but that is not one of them!

the Jews who followed Christ didnt start identifying as Christians until after Paul had done a few rounds of preaching.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Jesus, Mary and Joseph were all jews. Whove posted was incorrect.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• ignorance. As one stated they were all jews.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• It never ceases to amaze me the sheer amount of people that don't "get" their own religion! UGH!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• maybe that person was (incorrectly) trying to state that Mary and Joseph were believer's in God, and were aware of His words in the Old Testament, and accepted His teachings regarding a coming Messiah... so perhaps Mary did have foreknowledge that Jesus was the Messiah, born to die, as the prophets foretold in the Old Testament.

However, they were not christians....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2013