Question regarding the term Christian

I found a comment in a group post asking if Mary knew her son would die when he was born. One person responded with the statement that Joseph and Mary were Christians long before Jesus was born.

I have never heard this before. My religious upbringing always talked about Jesus being born a Jew.

Thoughts?

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 1:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• born a jew
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 7:58 AM on May. 18, 2013

• I think someone REALLY needs to actually READ their Bible.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yeah...just like the doctors totally told Lou Gehrig: "Sorry, Mr. Gehrig, but you have Lou Gehrig's Disease."
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I think what she probably meant was that they loved God and followed God long before Jesus came along.
    marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 5:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• maybe that person was (incorrectly) trying to state that Mary and Joseph were believer's in God, and were aware of His words in the Old Testament, and accepted His teachings regarding a coming Messiah... so perhaps Mary did have foreknowledge that Jesus was the Messiah, born to die, as the prophets foretold in the Old Testament.

However, they were not christians....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's what I am thinking as well. The dark side of me is wondering if any antisemitism is behind this reasoning.
    anng.atlanta

Comment by anng.atlanta (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Even Jesus was Jewish when he died. In fact, before the first council of Nicaea, what eventually became Christianity was a minor Jewish sect that didn't get a lot of followers within the Jewish population because its followers were increasingly demanding rejection of Jewish ideas and practices. And when they spread the idea that Jesus was the Messiah, well it lost more Jewish supporters because one of the Messianic prophecies says that the Messiah will bring all Jews to complete Torah observance and what was being done in the name of Jesus was to abandon the Torah more and more. But Jesus died an observant Jew. But early Christianity began spreading through the different Pagan groups. It wasn't until the council of Nicaea and the later conversion of Empetor Constantone that Christianity broke all ties with Judaism and became a separate religion
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

However, they were not christians....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• It never ceases to amaze me the sheer amount of people that don't "get" their own religion! UGH!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• ignorance. As one stated they were all jews.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Jesus, Mary and Joseph were all jews. Whove posted was incorrect.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2013