Question regarding the term Christian

I found a comment in a group post asking if Mary knew her son would die when he was born. One person responded with the statement that Joseph and Mary were Christians long before Jesus was born.

I have never heard this before. My religious upbringing always talked about Jesus being born a Jew.

Thoughts?

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 1:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• That person is just plain dumb. Christianity did not exist until after Jesus. They were Jews.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• That doesn't make any sense. That's like saying "My kids called me Mom before I had them"
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yeah...just like the doctors totally told Lou Gehrig: "Sorry, Mr. Gehrig, but you have Lou Gehrig's Disease."
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• It never ceases to amaze me the sheer amount of people that don't "get" their own religion! UGH!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Even Jesus was Jewish when he died. In fact, before the first council of Nicaea, what eventually became Christianity was a minor Jewish sect that didn't get a lot of followers within the Jewish population because its followers were increasingly demanding rejection of Jewish ideas and practices. And when they spread the idea that Jesus was the Messiah, well it lost more Jewish supporters because one of the Messianic prophecies says that the Messiah will bring all Jews to complete Torah observance and what was being done in the name of Jesus was to abandon the Torah more and more. But Jesus died an observant Jew. But early Christianity began spreading through the different Pagan groups. It wasn't until the council of Nicaea and the later conversion of Empetor Constantone that Christianity broke all ties with Judaism and became a separate religion
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Jesus was a Jew, his family was Jewish. Christian means someone who follows the teachings of Christ, how could his family follow his teachings before he was born or taught them? ;)

The first Christians were also Jews, as other comments have mentioned.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• wow...ive heard some crazy things in the church, but that is not one of them!

the Jews who followed Christ didnt start identifying as Christians until after Paul had done a few rounds of preaching.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I think they were jews and Christianity was born after Jesus.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• That's idiotic. Christians are those who follow Christ, the Annointed One. Before Christ, there were noChristians. In fact, Christianity was considered a sect of Judaism for quite some time. Mary and Joseph were Jews, plain and simple.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• ignorance. As one stated they were all jews.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2013