Asked by Dardenella at 2:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• While I can understand the whole "it takes a village" line of thinking, the thought that my children are not ultimately my responsibility is asinine. This is not communist China.

Answer by hootie826 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• that bitch is off her freaking rocker. He hamster must have died and stop rotating the wheel in her head.

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Well, then, by her standard, I guess everyone owes me child support, right? lol I take cash and credit cards.

I can agree that public education doesn't get enough funding. Beyond that, My kids are mine, just as I was my parents, and someday my kids will have kids that belong to them to raise as they see fit until they are 18. THEN, and only then, do they belong to the world.

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I have to agree that public education hasn't been funded like I believe it should be, or at least it hasn't been managed well. And I do agree that when I was a kid, there was a lot more vigilance by those who lived on the block looking out for the neighborhood children. But the idea that children belong to a collective, a community, and not to their parents is appalling. Who loses their rights first? Because eventually, with that line of thought, we all lose them.

Answer by Ballad at 2:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Insane. My kids belong to me, and my kids belong to my husband. We made them, no one else. We care for them, no one else. They are OUR children.
    I could understand if someone felt that the community should be more responsible for kids who have no one, like paying more attention to what is going on in the (very flawed) foster system, but beyond that, NOPE, our kids are our kids.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• im hoping she just chose her words stupidly...cause if this “Unfortunately not all of our families have the 'know how' or the resources to do what is best for their children. They need support.” is the message, im all for it. many parents are stupid and raising their kids to be stupid and it brings down society as a whole. but the community raising the kids in place of parents. thats just stupid. more does need to be down to HELP society raise good productive future members of society, but that has to start with the parents

i do find it interesting that any call for the community to help out members of the future community is demeaned as attempts to make us a socialist or communist country...dramatic much?

Answer by okmanders at 2:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Ok, it's not HER views, it's what she recorded for an ad. I kinda get where it's coming from.

It takes a village to raise a kid.

I think that's more what the ad is about. The problem is, our villages are now thousands of people instead of a hundred or so. AND there are a lot of sick fucks in the world too that do NOT have the best interests of kids in mind.

I get the concept, but there is NO WAY I'd turn over my kids to the government to raise.

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Oh, I don't freakin' *think* so!

Answer by Ballad at 2:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• She is taking "it takes a village" to a whole new level! But yes this chick is off her rocker..

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Yes, I've seen it. First heard about it yesterday, and if you've seen the video of her saying it, you know she believes exactly what she's saying.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2013