Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step parent adoption in Texas..

I am curious if there is a cheaper way to go other than using an attorney. My ex-husband wants my husband to adopt our 13 year old son. Also how long is this process?


Asked by txnmomof4 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Adoption

Level 20 (8,384 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • call the court and ask for the paperwork. If they send it to you that means you don't need a lawyer. My second husband adopted my first child in NY, but my first husband was dead. It cost about $100 in court fees. 3. doctor physicals, and a new birth cert fee. Not $10,000 that is just stupid! I personally don't believe that it is a good idea for a living father to reject his child like that, especially a 13 year old, But your ex must be a real POS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on May. 2, 2013

  • you have to get an attorney involved but since your ex is willing and wont fight it it shouldn't be to bad. Mt dad adopted my older brother when he was an infant and his birth father didn't fight it and that cost like $10,000. But that was 27 years ago.
    I believe the father could sign he's rights away with no cost it's the adoption that cost lots of money. Which is BS if both parties are willing.

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2013