My soon to be 9 year old lost her 2 front teeth a year ago and her permanent teeth have yet to come out. Her dentist kept asking if she was a premie or if she had any mental issues..she was not a premie and no mental issues. does anyone know why that would be an issue if it was

jennegarza

Asked by jennegarza at 4:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• DD had a friend that had the same thing happen. Se went a whole school year before they started coming in, but they were just coming in the beginning of the next school year.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I'd ask the dentist that!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I have never heard premature birth being a cause of delayed teeth, but my DD was born 7 weeks early and got her first tooth at 17 months. She's only 5, so we'll see how the permanent teeth do.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Most children I know of have lost their 2 front teeth by the end of Kindergarden 5/6 so to just be loosing them at 9 is really kind of late which might be why the dentist is questioning.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• What do the xrays show? Any new teeth? Maybe a Pediatric Dentist would know why. could be hereditary. When did your front teeth or your DH teeth come in?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• There are some genetic issues that can cause teeth to be missing. My pedi said there were usually other obvious signs of problems, so that could be related to the mental illness question.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• yes
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• we saw the xrays and they show the teeth were there and when i asked about the other questions he just brushed them off, then wondered out loud about her mental state again...i will admit she does not like her dentist she says he hurts her gums when he burshes them so she does over react when he finally does come in. I asked again but he just kept brushing it off saying oh its nothing really.
    jennegarza

Comment by jennegarza (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I lost my first teeth in the third grade. I guess my point is that it may be unusual, but it does happen. They all ended up coming in fine. :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• My daughters teeth were very slow to come in. So slow that the dentist xrayed her specifically to see if they were there. They were. It still took forever for them to come in after that. She was neither a preemie nor has mental issues. I think some kids just get their teeth in slower than others.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2013