What do I do when my sister in law has hurt me so bad by saying that my son is not smart, and we are bad parents?

He is a 4 year old and she has criticized me because she thinks he cannot say a full sentence or even count to ten. He not only says sentences but puts together complex thoughts, and counts to 100. She has also said that we do not provide any structure, or even discipline him. He apparently runs amuck and irritates everyone who is around him. She says we do not teach, him, interact with him, and just plop him down in front of the t.v. I feel that we are great parents who do all of that and more. Doctors and teachers have told me he is doing well developmentally and is respectful and sweet. She has a problem with both of us (myself and her brother) because we have moved into her mothers home to start a new lives for ourselves in a different city. We in turn are helping her mother during a rough transition after she recently lost her husband. She barely visits, how does she know what kind of mom I am.

debbiekbenson

Asked by debbiekbenson at 7:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell her to fuck off and block her number or stop taking her calls. Refuse to go places you know she will be.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Don't let this get to you, apparently the green eyed monster has caught up with sister in law, ignore her and keep on doing your great parenting, the only ones that need to know you are doing the right thing by him is you and your sweet boy, ignore this woman who is obviously jealous....

Answer by older at 7:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I always say "Consider the source", which means she doesn't know what she is talking about. You know your child, and you know that you are good mom.

Answer by Bmat at 7:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Don't be around her more than you have to, and when you hear something she has said, picture a big red "WHATEVER" button in your mind and push it. Don't waste energy even thinking about what she says. If you know it isn't true, who cares what she thinks? If it's bullshit, everybody else will smell it for what it is.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• You limit contact as much as you can. Surround yourself with people who love you and your family.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• She is pissed you are living in her Mothers home. She is trying to hurt you any way she can. BUT to pick on a child is disgraceful. I would avoid her at all costs. If in the event you find yourself in her presence & she says anything else about your son, tell her that she is pathetic & disgraceful & to mind her own business. Also tell anyone including your MIL & DH that you do not want to ever hear her opinions about how you raise your son ever again. I hope your DH's name is on the deed to your MIL's home because in the event she passes, his sister is going to try to get at least 1/2 the home. Call an attorney & get that done ASAP. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Ignore your SIL as much as you can. As soon as you get your own place. You wil lnot have to deal with her.

Answer by louise2 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Ignore her.

And talk with your DH and MIL about how this is hurting you. They should be standing up for you since they see firsthand that she's lying.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 8:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Just ignore her, I can't believe you even allow her to say that, I would tell her that she needs to Mind her own business, and tell her you will not engage in this type of conversation period.
    She is most likely resentful that you and your husband are living with her mother.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I would not give her the satisfaction of my doing anything. Simply ignore her and roll on with your life. She is the one who has a problem. It matters not a whit what she thinks about anything.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2013