how do you feed a family of four?

I have a nine year son with austim a six year son and a two year daughter and myself. I budget only four hundered dollars a month and bearly make it threw the month

sun1975

Asked by sun1975 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Shopping

• Make double and freeze meals, buy in bulk when you can, use coupons
    Anonymous

• agreed with anon. having leftovers isn't a crime.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 7:34 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Try ordering Angel Food, One box contains approx. $60.00 worth of food (meat, fresh fruits and veggies, and non-perishables) and will help feed a family of 4 for a week and it only costs $30.00. Go to www.angelfoodministries.com for more details.

Anonymous

• sorry, didn't meant to post anon!

Try ordering Angel Food, One box contains approx. $60.00 worth of food (meat, fresh fruits and veggies, and non-perishables) and will help feed a family of 4 for a week and it only costs $30.00. Go to http://www.angelfoodministries.com for more details. Or PM me for more info.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Mornings is the best time to find meat marked down. in fact if you can make it to the grocery store in the morning, you can find milk, dairy products marked down. Also finding out what grocery stores in your town will double coupons, and if they double .50 or $1.00, of course the $1.00 is better, thats the best way to get your toilettries, soaps, cleaners & cereal. Sometimes coupons can be alot of work, but it really pays off in the end, and you start to learn short cuts, like it can be ok sometimes to use expired coupons & you don't have to buy 2 if the coupon says u do. Also rice is cheap & can stretch, kool-aid is cheap & can also stretch (in moderation of course) Good Luck
    crysann1974

Answer by crysann1974 at 7:01 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I have a family of 7. I plan all my meals ahead of time. GO to bent and dent stores for veggies, cereal, chips, snack cakes, and juice. Go to Save A Lot or Sams club for my meat. And Walmart for all my other needs or things I couldn't get at the other stores. I have chicken every Monday night. Tuesdays and wednesdays I have something that I can have leftovers with for the next day. Thursdays are muy culinary experiments where I make something special, adn Fridays are eithe burgers and fries or pizza that I make myself. Weekends hubby cooks but it is mostly hamburger helper or mac and cheese. What do we spend a month $200. No lie.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:23 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• You can shop at aldis and save a lot if they are around too to save money
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• We have a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids--ages 8, 7, 6 and almost 3) and there was a time when the last one was a baby that we survived on $400 a month for groceries. We rarely bought meat (usually just some hamburger, ground turkey or chicken breasts when we had the money...a few times a week). We bought store brand on almost everything (including formula for the baby). The kids aren't allowed to drink milk (it's strictly for cereal and cooking). We never had snacks in the house (other then cheap Dollar Store Saltine crackers). We only drank water (no soda and stuff). We pretty much ate the same thing all the time but we survived and that was with 2 adults and 3 kids eating.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:12 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• cost shop. If say Acme has ten for ten and it's stuff I really use its worth going there to get those items. See something on sale snag extras. Make stuff in bulk if you eat it in my house chili and spagetti and both are fairly cheap to make. When I was a single mom I could make a pound of hamburger stretch to two meals. Same for chicken. Yes if you have a bakery close to your house you can buy bread there. We have a Sara Lee and bread bought directly from that costs .99 a loaf. Buy a few and freeze. Milk on sale that can be frozen too (if you have room). See if you can get your youngest on WIC. That will help with milk, cereal, beans, cheese. Store brand mac and cheese (lots cheaper than Kraft) tastes just as good and most kids will eat it add some veggies and there's a meal under 2.oo.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:21 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• I meant to add we're a family of 5 and I spend about 400 a month and that includes my cleaning supplies and laundry stuff.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 17, 2009