Can I go to my mailbox with the kids in bed... wwyd?

I really need to check the mail but I would have to walk a good 1/2 block down hill to the mail center. It would take me like 5 minutes total. Should I lock up and go check it? They are in bed. For some reason if they were awake it would be different... I mean they are 5 and 8 for petes sake. lol. Why does it matter that it is night and they are in bed vs. awake? Should I go or stay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• because one of your lamps could short out before you got back home. That's why it matters.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• do you live in a terribly unsafe neighborhood? i mean really, a 5 and 8 year old?! Just go for pete's sake, just make sure you don't lock yourself out or something!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't god forbid if something happens to you or your house in the 10 minutes you are gone.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• The mail won't go tonight anyway, so just take it in the morning to the post office, that should cut down a day off of delivery.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• i would wait till the morning... the only time i leave kids in the house is when my 2 boys are sleeping and i walk my daughter to the bus stop. but i stop at the corner, i can watch the house and my daughter at the same time.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• The mail can wait what if something happens like one gets injured the mail isn't going anywhere just go check it when the kids catch the bus or when your about to head out
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I can not think of anything that could come in the mail and still be there at night, that won't be there tomorrow morning. That is my feeling but I have always been cautous about things like that with my kids.. Generally speaking unless you are in a rotten neighborhood (and then I wouldn't go down the hill aone at night any way) or under some sort ofthreat or the kids are sik, 99% of the time every thing will be just fine. I am just the kind of person about my kids that thinks I would never forgive myself if that 1% just happened to visit my kidsa that time. I am not the luckies person so I am more of apreventer.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I wouldn't, only because I have a vivid childhood memory of when I was maybe six or seven years old. My dad was alone in the house with my younger sister and me, who shared a room. We didn't hear him go out to take the trash to the alley, and he got to gabbing with a neighbor and lost track of time. So we called for him after a while and freaked out that he wasn't there. By the time he got back, we were both hysterical. I still remember how afraid I was. It was a harmless incident in the grand scheme of things, but I'd figure there would be nothing that important in the mail and I'd get it tomorrow.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2013