Can my husband move in a roommate during our divorce??

I just emailed my lawyer but it's almost 7pm here so I won't get a response until tomorrow. My STBX has been harassing me all day to move out of the home asap. I do plan to move but not until my son finishes his 10th grade semester at the end of May. He has aspergers, social anxiety, & major depression. Yanking him out of school with 2 months left during a divorce is just wrong on so many levels. Yet my ex wants me to do this. He says I am "using the kids" as an excuse not to move right away.

Anyway he is now saying he's going to empty out a room while we're still here and get a roommate. The only rooms he can empty out would be one of the kids' rooms. Can he do this?

We are in CA.

Tesserae

Asked by Tesserae at 9:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• You are both in the home? Why do you have to leave? I say that most likely not, you might want to speak to your lawyer about a restraining order that would forch HIM to leave until May.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• Why did you ever let him back in the door? When he left on his "vacation" with her you should have called a locksmith.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• BALLS, Tessarae, BALLS. Grow some and stand up to this womanizing creep!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• No, he can't. Your attorney should tell you to keep the kids in the house. And, you may be able to get an order to have your ex removed from the home but, still be responsible for the bills.

And, don't let that stuff bug you. My ex still accuses me of "using the kids" to get my way & we've been divorced for 2.5 yrs.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• OMG,my heart goes out to you more and more with your posts. I want to strangle the life out of the SOB!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I can't just lock him out... Neither one of us can pull that crap on the other - it's in our papers. My husband just doesn't have a copy of the papers yet because my lawyer & I completely re-did them with all my requests & such. My STBX will be served at work by next week.

I thought long and hard about the home and I do not want it. Maybe that's hard to understand but I have made the choice to let him have it. I am choosing to get away from this area, these memories, the payments and just start fresh.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• i dont know if he can or not....... i agree 100 percent he should wait but hell hes an idiot. Taking your son out of school is again a dumbass idea so again go you for putting the kids needs 1st..... Whats wrong with the idea of letting someone move in is your stbx is not putting the kids 1st. why the hell would he empty out the kids room at all?? i take it youre taking the kids but you would think he would leave their room to visit. hes a dick. excuse my mouth.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• whats wrong is the idea***...... sorry i messed up
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• He has been so obnoxious today, butterfly! He simply doesn't give a crap about the kids' well-being. He has texted me dozens of times about when can we talk about me leaving the house. He wants to get a roommate now. he doesn't see why my son can't finish school at a different school. blah blah blah. and that i can't forget that we need to split the debt. he is driving me nuts.

I am hating this man more and more by the minute.
    Tesserae

Comment by Tesserae (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I can understand not wanting the house. Just make sure you dot your i's and cross your t's. I'm not sure how the laws are in CA, but here in WI they suck. My ex got the house in the divorce and decided to stop making payments. The house got foreclosed on and since I was married to him at the time the loan was taken out, my credit is absolutely ruined. I tried saying that he got the house in the divorce and was told that family law is different. So make sure to check into all of that.

I don't believe he can get a roommate. Sorry you are going thru this. *HUGS*

tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2013