Because nothing says, "I'm secure in my faith" like, "Kill the atheists!"

Sorry.

I just can't respect anyone who would support this or excuse it by saying, "well, it's their country, their right."

Those people are barbaric.  There's no other way to describe them.  (and, by "them", I mean those who are calling for the deaths of atheists or anyone who would speak out against religion or simply and vocally support separation of church and state) 

This really sickens me.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• "..If we had done that during WWII, would that be forgivable? After all, Germany is it's own country with its own laws . . . so if they want to kill the Jews, shouldn't we let them?"

Actually, this did in fact happen. They were well aware of what was going on.
    collectivecow

Answer by collectivecow at 8:32 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• momto2: I have to disagree with you on this one.

We can definitely do something as a country to impose restrictions on this type of thing.
    It's disgusting either way.
    collectivecow

Answer by collectivecow at 8:31 PM on Jun. 17, 2013

• Agreeing with momto2boys and Dardenella.

Do we really want these kind of people telling us how we have to run our country? If we start telling them how to run theirs don't think it won't happen.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2013

• " Human rights aren't our business? The last time I checked, this was a nation of humans, in a world of humans. How can anyone sit back and say, "well, they can kill whomever they want . . . it's their business." OP
    What can we do?? What can be done?? Some of those countries have been fighting since the dawn of time it seems in the name of religion. Somebody speaks against a certain religion, there is a fight and lots of bloodshed. The dust settles, something else happens, and it takes off all over again.
    After seeing the series "The Bible" it seems like different religions are violent and bloody. Vicious battles have broken out in the name of God or Alalla. This has been going on for thousands of years, isn't gonna change now.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Oh and self determination is a right of NATIONS, not individuals. The individuals have a right to fight their government if they're in satisfied, to try to bring change to their country. But having the right to try doesn't mean a right to succeed.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• "Perhaps that's the difference between secular humanism and other belief systems - we don't put religious or political dogma above human rights"

It's really not about that. Bit of you honestly can't leave your emotions out to think rationally about the consequences, I really can't help you there. International affairs are way more complicated than "hey! That's just wrong! Let's do something!" It sounds noble and good, but ultimately it opens up possibilities that are far more disturbing.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• "We're talking about HUMAN LIVES, here. Nations can't impose "self-determination" on individuals, or where are the individuals' rights to self-determination? This is wrong, and there's no way to make it sound right, or make it sound like we have no responsibility to other human beings."

I'm with you and I share your indignation, but again, if you can impose your morality on another group, what will prevent other group to impose their morality on you if they become strong enough, KWIM? Just as you NOW feel the "responsibility to intervene", thy can feel it too, so if you can, why shouldn't they?
    Again, it is outrageous, appalling and disgusting, but you must think of the slippery slope you can unleash by intervening. If you're willing to take the risk and accept the consequences that may come, then by all means.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I can be disgusted and outrged by what people do in other places to their land, animals, water, children, people......

The fact still remains that I have no authority/ power to do anything about their country. It is theirs to run as they choose.

Everyone wants the US to stop sticking our noses in everyone else's business; we need to stop sending our military in to solve other people's problems. It is said that we need to stop trying to force our ideas on other people.

Well, you have to make up your mind. Is it right to interfere in anothercountry or culture when you have not been invited to do so?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• We're talking about HUMAN LIVES, here.  Nations can't impose "self-determination" on individuals, or where are the individuals' rights to self-determination?  This is wrong, and there's no way to make it sound right, or make it sound like we have no responsibility to other human beings.

Perhaps that's the difference between secular humanism and other belief systems - we don't put religious or political dogma above human rights.  This is inexcusable, and I think we have a responsibilty to intervene.  If the situation were happening here, as I said before, I'd hope that some other rational nation would step up and intervene in the slaughter of other humans.  "Self-determination" be damned.  All we're allowing is fear to control us and everyone else.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• "I am sorely disappointed with the attitudes of people who aren't outraged by these violations of human rights. Whether homosexuals, gays, women, or any other minority group, to suggest that their rights aren't worthy of protection because their country has the right to do with them as they choose . . . no. I'm not disappointed. I'm disgusted."

And I can be very outraged... And still realize what possibilities open up by claiming my right to intervene.
    You do know that human rights in the legal sense are voluntary, right? Not all countries have agreed to respect the charter of human rights. And they haven't been forced to because of the principle of self-determination, a fundamental principle of international law. So basically, we can be very outraged, disgusted, angry, you name it. Bit that doesn't give us a right to intervene in another culture/country self-determination.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2013