Because nothing says, "I'm secure in my faith" like, "Kill the atheists!"

Sorry.

I just can't respect anyone who would support this or excuse it by saying, "well, it's their country, their right."

Those people are barbaric.  There's no other way to describe them.  (and, by "them", I mean those who are calling for the deaths of atheists or anyone who would speak out against religion or simply and vocally support separation of church and state) 

This really sickens me.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Me too.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• I am probably wrong but I do believe the rules governing thar country are very clear. I do not have to agree but it is nit simething hidden, Knowing this you can take steps to pretend to blend in or you can leave or suffer the consequences of breaking thier laws. It is as simple as that. This is utside our country and we have no jurisdiction.

On a personal note do I thinkthe actions are right? No I do not, but they are not random accusassions and punishments.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• It's appalling to me. But we wouldn't want anybody else coming to America and telling us how to govern our country. We can't very well meddle in the affairs of another nation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2013

• No, I don't support it and yes, it's sickening. But it is their country and they create their own laws. I'm sure none of is would want other countries interfering with our laws, we shouldn't do it to them, even if it's appalling and sickening for us. It's not like they're pretending they have freedom of speech and then coming after unsuspecting Atheists. I commend them for standing firm and trying to change things, but that's a choice they made knowing the risks.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• its sad and sickening. sometimes we take for granted the freedoms we have in America. sure, its difficult to be anything but Christian in America, but at least ppl arent tracking non-Christians down via the internet and murdering them...with no punishment from the govt.

as for not stepping into other countries business...America does it EVERY freaking day! we meddle in the affairs of pretty much every country on this planet! if someone doesnt step in and say "hey, killing ppl for their religious beliefs is a violation of human rights" then things will never change. if the ppl of Bangladesh just sit there and let the country dictate their beliefs, the country will never change.

but i guess since Bangladesh isnt Communist we dont need to interfere...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I am with the others in this, and it is sickening to see that. But when they publicly announce, or however it happened and to say they atheists, and the atheists blog that, what did they expect to happen? And then " they use obscene language to criticize Allah, Muhammad and the Quran." Did they actually expect nothing to happen? Look at what happen when a few US soldiers burned their Quran, and it was an honest mistake! I feel for those bloggers, I do. But they can't say stuff like that and expect nothing to happen. They are not in America where we have the freedom of speech and feel free to practice whatever religion we want, even satanic. The Taliban attempted to murder a little girl cause she wanted to go to school for godsake!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I'm discouraged by most of these comments.  Human rights aren't our business?  The last time I checked, this was a nation of humans, in a world of humans.  How can anyone sit back and say, "well, they can kill whomever they want . . . it's their business."  If we had done that during WWII, would that be forgivable?  After all, Germany is it's own country with its own laws . . . so if they want to kill the Jews, shouldn't we let them?

And to suggest that the bloggers somehow brought this upon themselves . . . do you think that women bring rape upon themselves?  Are victims of violence responsible for the violence perpetrated against them?

Really?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• And in addition . . . if my life or the lives of my family were being threatened (condoned by the government) by mobs of angry people, and if my own country were not willing to help me, you can be damned sure I'd want another entity, whether a group of individuals or another country, to interfere on my behalf.  If my only "crime" was to express an opinion (in the case of atheists) or to live my own life (as in the case of homosexuals), and I'm to expect to be killed for it with the passive disapproval - amounting to nothing more than a little "tsk, tsk" of the rest of the world - this is a sorry state of humanity, indeed.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I am sorely disappointed with the attitudes of people who aren't outraged by these violations of human rights. Whether homosexuals, gays, women, or any other minority group, to suggest that their rights aren't worthy of protection because their country has the right to do with them as they choose . . . no. I'm not disappointed. I'm disgusted.

Let me revisit an example in my first comment.  Let's say that these were Jews being hunted down, threatened and killed.  Would that then be a matter of the country to do with them as they choose, in accordance to their own laws?  Where do you draw the line?  Is it only a certain type of person that's worthy of  your outrage? At what point do you think  interference is warranted?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Sadly without a big monetary incentive to help these people, most countries will do nothing to try to protect them. If Bangladesh were slaughtering Christians, it would be a different story.

This is sickening. The world so often turns a blind eye to the murder of thousands of minorities because they don't want to be involved in other people's politics.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2013