Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Single parent and so lost ! HELP!

I am a single mom of a beautiful daughter who is almost 2. I just turned 21, and I have supported her since without the help of her father since I got pregnant. My parents have been helping as much as they can but they are moving soon and I will be homeless unless I can find a second job. The worst problem I feel is that daycare is so expensive. I am trying to find work from home to do during the day because my actual job is in the afternoon. Any suggestions or help would be great!

Answer Question

Asked by DanceMom2011 at 12:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Money & Work

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Is dad on the birth certificate? If so, go to court. He needs to be supporting his child.

    Call 211 for social services to help you figure out what else you qualify for.

    Answer by gdiamante at 12:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • go for chld support

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • Find a roommate to share an apartment or rent a room from a family that has a spare room/basement. Or, try to find work as a live-in nanny where your room is free and you just take care of the kids and some housework. Another idea is to find work AT a daycare and see if they'd let you get a discount for watching your child there. This is why parents don't want kids to have kids so soon. Call your local human services dept. of the local government and ask them for advice on where to look or if there are any discount daycare programs.


    Answer by hellokittykat at 1:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • hellokittykat

    Answer by hellokittykat at 1:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • This is all good advice, I say go for child support, as well as try to qualify for some reduced daycare etc. Have you thought about getting a better job? Do you have training in anything? I know there is alot of help for schooling for single moms, maybe you should look at getting a career in something, that way you could support your kid on your own? Good luck!

    Answer by jerseydiva at 8:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • I'm with jerseydiva. Don't get a second job, go to school. Your daughter is only going to get more expensive to raise as she gets older. The more education you have, the less of a struggle it will be.

    Go to your local community college website and see what they offer as far as childcare. Lots of them have free/reducted cost daycare for students while they're in class. Pell grants are a huge help(tuition and books here will cost me about $700/semester and I get more than twice that). See what kind of distance learning program they have in place. Depending on your course of study you may be able to do it all online.

    Answer by desert_diva at 9:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • Go see if you are elegable for PA. They will hepl you with CS too I think.

    Answer by louise2 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • Move with your parents.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • The father lives in South America and does not have his name on the birth documents

    Comment by DanceMom2011 (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

  • How did you manage not to name the father on the birth certificate? He sounds like a scammer to me. Anyhoo, I second all of the answers above ^ either move with the parents or get public assistance and go to college.

    Answer by tasches at 3:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.