Who should really control what our children watch, read or listen to? The FCC or the parents?

I'm studying Media and society and right now I'm on a chapter that discusses how regulations work when it comes to content. In reading this I learned that even though regulations have been made so that children are protected from violence and sexual content, parents still seem to complain that the FCC aren't doing enough. I began to wonder, why can't the parents just make sure their kids aren't being exposed to it by blocking certain channels and only playing age appropriate music? Why do parents rely so much on a system to protect their kids from such things when learning about these things should begin at home anyway?

uwmilf

Asked by uwmilf at 12:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• FCCis supposed to set a cerin base level fir age apropriate by veing tine. the parents are responsible fir what is allowed ti be watched in their own home
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I've always felt it was MY responsibility to control what my children watch on television. The thing that parents have today that my generation didn't have, was the ability to lock channels you don't want your children to see.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• As with so many things, what SHOULD be and what IS are generally two very different things. There have always been complaints and there always will be.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• People want to practice lazy parenting and then blame someone else when the outcome is less than desirable. Making poor choices and then blaming someone else seems to be rampant in our society.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Coms to yet again, PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. It does seem like people anymore tells everyone else it was their fault, they made me do it. It was the video games that made them violent. He has 'mommy/daddy issues' because mommy/daddy couldn't keep their hands to themselves so the person decides to become a mass killer. Give me a break..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• My kid was watching Curious George today and she was too scared to go to bed because George was "afraid of the dark" and thought monsters were in his room.

Seriously, nothing's safe anymore! Only show I trust is Sesame Street. Any other show that has any "conceptual" content is too graphic for her- even when totally rated G.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Ohhhh!! This is a MAJOR pet peeve of mine!!! It's the job of the PARENTS!!!!

It is the PARENTS job to monitor what is watched, played, read or listened to by their children!!! PARENTS need to stop wanting someone else to do their jobs for them!!!

If you don't like or approve of a TV show, movie, song, game or book then don't allow YOUR child have access to it!! I really take issue with those idiots who find something "offensive" and proceed to attempt to get it banned b/c they are too fucking LAZY to do their JOB as PARENTS!!!

Family Guy's take on parental responsibility and TV

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Some parents are lazy that is why. They so not want to to have to screen everything. tv, music ect.....

Answer by louise2 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• "for the children" is code for uptight prude who is personally offended that anything they don't approve of is allowed to air. It's the same way of thinking that's brought you the DOMA, don't ask don't tell, and laws that prevent atheists for running for public office. Those people don't actually give a fuck about anyone's child - they're having a bitchfit that their personal morality is not being forced on everyone else - see one million moms for a good example.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I personally would love to have no tv (and internet if I didn't rely so much on it), but it'd be hard to break away from it.
    uwmilf

Comment by uwmilf (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2013