PALE FACE, KNEE AND ANKLE PAINS.....Please help

Hi fellow moms! I'm desperate at this point. My 6 year old son has been extremely pale( on and off) since he was 2. Some days he looks normal, other days he looks scarily pale with circles under his eyes. but when he gets pale, which is often, he looks dead. The circles under his eyes are also very pronounced. NEXT...he has been suffering from excruciating knee and ankle pains ever since he could walk. Daily I am applying hot towels, heating pads, icy hot, you name it...to his legs. I have had many doctor appointments where I am always told that it is just growing pains. THAT MAKES NO SENSE.growing pains that make you scream out in your sleep for almost 5 years? Took him to a specialist who said I had munchausen(spell?) and wanted my child to be sick( what a bastard). Seems like no one wants to help me because I am on SSI for LUPUS and have state insurance. Please any advice would help.I love my child too much to see him hurt

NicNatsMom

Asked by NicNatsMom at 3:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Stop with the heat!!! STOP with the Icy hot you are assisting your money!!! If its growing pains try a magnesium supplement... Also make sure his shoes have enough arch support!!!

What kind of a specialist did you take him too???
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Does he take a multivitamin? Has he had blood work done? Is he anemic? The blood work will tell you. Definitely give him a daily multivitamin. Dehydration & lack of Potassium can cause joint pain but more fluids & bananas & Orange juice can take care of that. Maybe he IS just pale. You may be over thinking it & not seeing the simple solution as I have stated. Start with blood work & take it from there. Have you had HIM tested for Lupus? How about Lyme disease? Is there something in your home causing these issues? Mold, using any chemicals, bug sprays? Even using something on your pets if you have any?

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• You have just described my middle son. There is nothing wrong with him, he is just pale and has growing pains... like his father did. He is growing like a weed and that is hard on joints.

My MIL told me that her doctor suggested cowboy boots for my dh when he was little because they are supposed to help with the growing pains. Once he started wearing them, the pains went away. It is worth a shot at least.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Hi moms, thank you for your responses. I am bi-racial mixed withy black and white, my son's father is a full blooded Cherokee....so the very pale white face alarms me because his normal skin tone is a light honey color. He does indeed take multi-vitamins daily, and bananas are his favorite fruit, so I am truly at a loss as to what it could be. Years ago a doctor told me my son had Cyclid-neutropenia...which later was ruled out by another doctor. Do growing pains really last that long? I also notice he sweats a lot, and prefers to walk around in undies because he constantly feels hot. Doesn't anemia make you feel cold all of the time? I'm just at the point of frustration already. I have had him tested for Lupus, and that was ruled out. I took him to an orthopedic specialist who did multiple x-rays and an ultrasound of his leg. Both of his legs hurt and I was told growing pains are always in one leg. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT
    NicNatsMom

Comment by NicNatsMom (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Do the blood work. Do you have deer ticks in your area? Ask for a Lyme test. He may be dehydrated from sweating so much.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Hello,
    yes I have had him checked for Lyme disease as well and it came back negative. I spoke to his doctor about an hour ago who said that they want to do further testing to check for leukemia......does anyone here know anyone with a child who has leukemia? Of course now I am even more on edge because that is the last thing I ever suspected, or want to potentially go through.
    NicNatsMom

Comment by NicNatsMom (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• He does indeed take multi-vitamins daily, and bananas are his favorite fruit, so I am truly at a loss as to what it could be.

Might be too much potassium... again add magnesium to supplements... that is what many docs recommend. Yes they can last this long... especially into late middle school.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Poor little guy. I hope you find answers soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2013