At what age do you think it is ok for kids to start working out?

Ok, so I am wondering what you all think is a good age for a child to start working out? I do not mean weight lifting, but exercising daily like an adult would...of course not as strenuously though.

NicNatsMom

Asked by NicNatsMom at 4:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Any age basically... Exercise should be built into thier day regardless of age. Exercise and intencity should be age appropriate.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I don't know that it's necessary for a child to work out before their teen years probably. They should be outside, running around, playing, riding bikes, etc., which should give them plenty of exercise. Of course, if they tend to be more of a couch potato, you should encourage them to get up and get moving, but I still don't know that it needs to be actual "exercise."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• It depends on why they are doing it. To lose weight? At least 13-14. Because its fun? Any age! Generally kids are way more active all day than most adults that work out.

Answer by missanc at 7:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• My 3 year old has done exercise videos with me since infancy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Well, most kids who are not glued to the TV and play outside get plenty of exercise, now if you are talking to lose weight, and they are already active, I would be looking at the diet.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 8:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I took a cardio and strength training class and that topic was brought up. Exercise is SO good for you, all ages should exercise every day. We should teach our kids exercise can be fun. Instead of sitting watching television great exercise is kickball, playing on the gym set, swimming, etc...
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I reread your post and I wanted to add. .. I am curious of the age you are referring to. Looking at an adult the key for weight loss or for living a healhty lifestyle is to be active with what you enjoy. So with that being said age will matter. If I made my 5 year old do an exercise video she may look at is a chore and learn exercise is not fun. But if I make them cut down on the hours of television and instead take her bike riding with the family she could learn exercise as fun and way to bond witih the family (family time).

What is important is teaching them at any age it can be fun and not a chore other wise why would they want to keep it up. They can learn a lot from us by setting the example. Also it is very individual. My son did not like soccer at all but loves track. My daughter hates t-ball and soccer but loves swimming and dance.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Anytime. There are youth programs for fitness. DD (7) takes a Zumbatomic class and loves it. Swimming is great exercise.  She sometimes does yoga with me as well.  DS (10) loves to ride his bike and play soccer with the neighbors and has taking cross training classes.  If you get kids outside they will usually do some form of exercise without even knowing it.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• If a child is at a average weight and height  for their age. And they play out side a lot and at school. they do not need to do extra exercise.

But if they are over weight. they need to change their eating habits first then go play out side. 

Answer by louise2 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• When they are old enough to walk!! activities age appropriate, and more routine like when they get older, in their teens maybe....

Answer by older at 11:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2013