To those of you planning a home birth or free birth...If you were in preterm labor would you go to the hospital or leave it in God's hands?

The reaon I ask is because I was at my home birth support group today and this subject came up. A little more than 50% of us said we would go to the hospital if that was the suggestion of our midwives or other health care provider. The other half said no. At first I was shocked but after some explanation I can understand their position and even though it's not something I would choose for myself I can respect that decision.

One mom explained that she would put it in God's hands and if the baby was meant to come than he should. She explained further but it was a long conversation. All but one mom said she would seek immediate medical attention for the baby if it was needed. The mom who wouldn't practices a religion that doesn't believe in any type of medical use or intervention in their lives.

If you are planning to give birth at home...would you go to the hospital for preterm labor or leave it in God's hands?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• God's hands
    Anonymous

• I am familiar with many home & free birthers. I haven't heard of anyone refusing to care for true high-risk complications.
    Preterm labor could be something that can be dealt with at home, depending... If home remedies couldn't handle it and it was too early for a safe home delivery-- then I would seek medical help, absolutely.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'd go to the hospital if I were to go into labor at any point before 36 weeks.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Didn't God give the doctors the knowledge to help save your life and your baby's life?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:58 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with Wimsey - God gave us brains and free-will. Why not use them to help bring the child into the world healthy and safely?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• True pre term labor can not be stopped for more than a day or so, and many of the drugs used carry tons of risks.

That being said, if I go into labor before 36 weeks, I would go to the hospital. I would want them to check the baby, not me, and make sure that a delivery would be safe etc and be there just in case. I would deliver as naturally as possible though. Once I reach the 36 week mark, I wont go to the hospital. If my body delivers the baby then, then it will.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:04 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• gotta love people who can't answer the question!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:05 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Who are you referring to celticreverie. It looks like everyone answered the question correctly.
    Anonymous

• Sorry I assumed people who WERE planning a home birth were the only ones who should have answered.. if the answers that were given are satisfying to the OP that's what matters. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:13 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Thank you for all your answers. Celticreverie-Anonymous 7:11 wasn't me.

I do think that some people didn't exactly answer the question but I appreciate their responce anyway.
    Anonymous