Normal?

My son throws tantrums about 50% of the time. If he doesn't get his way he throws himself on the floor and screams. I know tantrums are normal but he also makes himself throw up. If he's sitting in his highchair eating he'll all of a sudden stick his finger down his throat and throw up and keep doing it after he gets in trouble for it. He never wants to be held and screams bloody murder if we try to. If he can't do something, like when he's trying to pick something up that's either too heavy or stuck on something he'll try once and then just start screaming and throwing himself down, kicking it, and once he picks it up he'll get mad and throw it across the floor. I've never seen a kid with that bad of a temper and wondering if anyone elses kids do this or if it's normal. He's 14 months and walking so I don't know if it's him wanting to be independent or something else.

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 7:40 PM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am so sorry you are dealing with this! My son has temper tantrums daily and it seems like they are quite frequent too! I can't stand it and don't know what to do! If you ever need to vent, send me a pm! Maybe we can trade tips, or just vent when we've had enough!
    Take Care!!
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 8:51 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Its normal. The best thing you can do is not give in, be consistent and don't play into it (i.e. ignore the tantrum as best you can...don't try to please him and calm him, etc.) He will stop the behavior eventually if it isn't eliciting the result he is looking for.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My kid is the worst on tanturms. I know every mom thinks that but my kid is horrible with them. I belive in spanking. So what I normally do is spank him then if he keeps up I make him go to his room or if I'm in public I take him back to the truck, even if that means leaving my buggy somewhere, and I make him sit by himself in the truck while I stand outside. It really seems to help. He sometimes just has to be by himself to get over it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:03 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• The only time my daughter turns into an absolute monster is when she is tired ...it's pretty easy to tell when bedtime and naptime are coming up bc she turns into a completely different baby! Is he getting enough sleep?
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 9:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• He's only 14 mos, yes, he wants to do it himself and gets frustrated when he can't. At this really young age, he needs to be redirected. He can't express himself, so that adds to the dilemma. He shouldn't be "getting in trouble", but you can give him time out to calm down.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:29 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If I try to redirect him like grab his hands and lead him to something else he goes limp and throws himself to the floor screaming so that doesn't work and he could care less if I give him something to distract him he'll just push it out of the way and do what he was doing before. I don't really like spanking him but every once in awhile when he starts to get bad i'll tap his butt. which just makes it worse. He's getting enough sleep, almost 12 hours a night and one or two naps a day. I try to ignore a lot of his tantrums but the making himself puke thing I don't just because he'll keep doing it over and over and then play in it. I could scream sometimes lol I tap his hand when he's gagging himself trying to make himself throw up or I grab his hand and hold it while sternly telling him no and he just starts crying. I guess i'll just have to wait for him to outgrow it.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Oh my God, that is awful, I feel bad for that poor baby. I have 2 girls and neither one of them have thrown tantrums. I have a 13 YO and a 2 and a half YO. He sounds like he is insecure and does not know how to express himself properly. Do you think that you are sensitive and understanding enough? I always try to make sure to appear sensitive and understanding to my kids but always make it clear about always sticking to the rules. The younger you start the better, eventually they will get it and accept it. And constancy is extreeeeemely important!!!! Once you give in you are done for. They will figure out how to push your buttons. Think of it this way, would you let your son cross a busy road if he kept crying and begging and throwing tantrums to do so? NO WAY! So do not give in with the other rules you set either! They are just as important because the rule of consistency and respect for your word needs to remain enforced.
    felicia0923

Answer by felicia0923 at 11:47 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my nephew was like that.He came over to my house one day and started throwing a tantrum.I sat him in my lap and held his hands so he couldnt make himself throw up.Then put a towel over are lap just encase and made him sit there till he calmed down.he hasnt done it since.It might work and it might not.with my son i sprayed him in the face with a spray bottle of water.He hated it but he stopped.Figured id give you some ideas to try.good luck.
    Nikki_91510

Answer by Nikki_91510 at 1:37 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• That's actually a game to him (the spray bottle). We have one for the dogs when they start going crazy barking and he thinks it's hilarious to get sprayed with it. He carries it around and sucks the water out of it half the time.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 7:00 AM on Feb. 17, 2009