Bad grades. Not going to school. Hes only 7..

report cards came out the other day. and one of the moms had told me she should punish her son for getting bad grades. I told her he never goes to school it is not his fault. how is he going to learn something when hes never there. today is the second day this week he didnt go!!!!. last night around 6pm all the kids were outside and he had told us he still didnt do his homework. i dont understand it. this mom doesnt work. she doesnt do anything but stay at home and no other kids.. i work, have 3 kids, and still manage to make sure my daughter gets to school and has good grads...  would you say anything to her about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is sad is that the child is suffering because of the Parents lack of support & guidance. She should be ashamed of herself. It's hard for you to sit around & watch him being misguided but there is nothing you can do unless you see him mistreated or abused. I hope the school takes the initiative to find out why he is not attending & rectify it. Maybe call the school & anonymously tell them what you are seeing just in case his Teacher is not handling it. sometimes when the School is publicly made aware of a situation they are quicker to correct it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Maybe you should report it to the children's and families division, see if you can keep your name out of it and just say you are concerned for the child and his future...

Answer by older at 7:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• A working or non-working parent has nothing to do with if a child gets their homework done. And it certainly should not dictate whether or not a child should get good grades. You don't know what goes on behind their closed doors. He could have something that has flare-ups that you don't personally see. He could have issues that make it very difficult to be at school all day and then even more difficult for him to do school work after being at school all day. Yes, could just be lazy kid and lazier parent, but you are only assuming it's not. Quit being so judgmental about something you have no clue about.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• The school and the court system will take care of it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:52 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• IDK, I think I would say something. This child is being failed in such a huge way, and I don't know if I could in good conscience turn my back on that.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• No, stay out of it, parents don't like to be told they are doing bad parenting....but maybe ask why he misses so much and take it from there....

Answer by older at 7:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• He is a novel idea. Mind your own business and be less judgmental. Js.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Call CPS. This child is at risk. In several years when he goes on a killing spree, everyone will say that others should have done something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Keep your nose out of it. The school is more aware of the situation than you would be. If he's missing that much school they're already on top of the reasons why and if it's truly due to lazy parenting, the courts will become involved. Schools are mandated reporters.

Killing spree because of bad grades in 1st (approx) grade? That's a leap.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I don't know about where you are, but in MY state (WA) we have the Becca Bill/Law. It is geared towards child truancy and it is STRICT!

School/District Requirements:

After one unexcused absence in a month, the school is required to inform the parent in writing or by phone.

After two unexcused absences, the school is required to initiate a parent conference to improve the student's attendance.

After five unexcused absences in a month, the parent and school must enter a contract to improve the student's attendance. Or, the case can be referred to a Community Truancy Board.

After seven unexcused absences in a month, or ten unexcused absences in an academic year, the school district may file truancy petitions with the juvenile court.

If the student is not in compliance with a court order resulting from a tuition petition, the school is required to file a contempt motion.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2013