Is it illegal for a cop to respond to a friend while on duty?

I have had issues with a neighbor and the other night My son asked our neighbor if she was messing with our cat. She flips out starts cussing at my son and her husband called the cops on him. But he didnt call it into dispatch he called his friend who is a cop on his personal cell. When I get home and my child tells me this, I call the non emergency number they say nothing was called into dispatch. So I ask for the deputy to call me, he does and says he didnt make contact with me because it wasnt serious and claimed hes not friends with these ppl. And gives me some bull answer as to why they have his personal cell number. Should I file a complaint?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Not sure if it would make a difference, but was the cop on duty when he took the call?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I would.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I would only if it happens again. Since the Cop knows you are privy to him being friendly with the other people I doubt he will come again.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• You can. I would.

Answer by louise2 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I would imagine it's his duty to respond to anyone who calls for his help. Otherwise they wouldn't allow him to carry his personal phone on him but if it makes you feel better call his superior officer and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I would file it just to make sure the incident was documented....

Answer by older at 11:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I don't imagine that it's illegal for the cop to respond to a call on his personal cell (assuming he was on duty at the time) but if a report was filed, etc. then it probably has to be called in (by him) at that point and have the proper paper trail started.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• You can, but it's not illegal for cops to use a personal cell while on-duty or give advice. My brother is an officer, and if he's able, I'll occasionally get texts or calls while he's on-duty. However, if you feel the police need to be involved, then you should call and speak to them yourself.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• No it is not illegal and policeman is a policeman 24 hours a day.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2013

• The fact of the matter is that he didn't respond to the call. I think it would be different if they had called him and then he had come over to your home. That would be inappropriate but the reality is that he never made contact with you.

It is not illegal for a cop to respond to a dispatch call involving acquaintances, however, if for any reason that officer or his superiors feel there may be a conflict of interest or that the officer's ability to respond appropriately and separate his emotions from the job might be affected by the relationship then the officer is required to recuse himself.

You really have no grounds upon which to file a complaint. The officer acted appropriately.
    Anonymous