Is it safe to use my pots again?

i had no choice but to use two pots to catch the dripping water from the ceiling that was from an overflowing toilet. i dont really know the ratio of water to urine but im sure there had to be some mixed in there. when it finally stopped leaking, i let both pots soak in bleach water over night. now they're soaking in soapy water. i was thinking if i run them through the dishwasher that'll act as a triple threat. they should be safe to use after all of that, right? or should i just throw them out?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2013 in Home & Garden

• So you soaked them in bleach water and now soaking them in soapy water. IMO I think you have killed the potty germs. the bleach alone would have done the trick alone I think.

You did more then I would have. I am not much of a germaphobe( don't know if that is a real word or not).  I  would have  just washed them with soapy water and been done with it

Answer by louise2 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Lord, M-avi, when did you last buy a set of pots? I haven't seen any cheaper than 60 bucks for basic cheaply Walmart brands in forever.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• They are FINE! The dishwasher will sanitize them. You don't even want to know what you are eating at a restaurant, who is cooking it & the skank pots they use! It's your pee too! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• You can get good cheap pots at the home section of TJMaxx and Marshalls. Places like Tuesday Morning also has some good ones on major discount.

Like everyone else said with all the bleach and run through on the dishwasher, they should be fine to use.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• I have "Revere ware" for 20 years! They are excellent if you are in the market to buy new pots. Like Robin^^^ said look for them at Marshall's.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• Hmmmm. Run them thru the dishwasher on the highest hot water setting you have. Then rinse them with boiling water. They should be fine.

Pots and pans are so expensive that I'd hate to throw them out.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• tnm, with the cost of pots and pans being so cheap these days, I would just throw them out and buy new. If you have to start over using the cheapest, so be it. You can always find brand new pans at the Goodwill and such. I don't think I would have used mine to begin with, but I don't think I'd want to chance anything now. You never know what leaked through that ceiling, not just the water but insulation and other stuff.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• After all of that I would still use them.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 11:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• It was a question that I answered on what I would do Panda. I'd pay $60.00 for a new set if I needed to, no big deal. To each his own. My opinion is that I would not use them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2013

• It's probably safe, but I know my DH would have fits about keeping them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2013